Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planer Sled

Planer Sled

Some time ago I read (and saved) an article in fine woodworking about flattening boards using a planer sled in the absence of a jointer.
    I have some 10" wide 2" thick ash and would sure hate to cut the boards to fit my 6" jointer. I'm thinking about building a sled. Has anyone built one? Sure would like you comments
    Bruce

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Glen Bradley built one and not long ago did a thread on using it. You can find the thread here
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Butte Montana which is 1/2 way between Purgatory and Heaven

Planer sled

I just planed 2 pcs of Ash 9" wide x 28" long. They both were cupped approx 3/32 plus had a slight twist. I had just finished watching The Woodwhisper showing how to "flatten" aboard with a planer.

I put a stop on each end of a pc of MDF. I laid the bowed end on the MDF, checked for the high corner and shimmed it until the board had no rock. Then I used hot glue in several places to hold the board on the MDF.

I took cuts no more than 1/32 at a time until the top surface checked flat with a straight edge. Once flat i removed the board from MDF turned it over and planed the other side.

I started with 3/4 stock and planed to a 3/8. It was flat. I was impressed. I don't know how it would work if you didn't want to remove as much stock as I did. I did each piece separate.

Check out the video - the instruction are toward the end

Jiggs Elphison

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-...inters-jumpin/

Here's a link to Glenns post http://www.familywoodworking.org/for...ht=planer+sled

I put one of those together recently. I made one 8' long and it actually worked quite well. A bit heavy, but if you watch the video on the FWW site, you'll see how that guy did it.

I used mine to flatten some long, heavy, thick pieces of maple I'm going to use for a table top.

Definitely worth the time to make right.

Biggest challenge is making sure the sled is flat, but here's how I did it...

Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Sometimes our wives have to wonder !!!

Dear, "what is this on our kitchen counter?"... WW.. Well, you see...

Actually a good idea.

Thanks for the help and the great reference threads guys. I think I'll go ahead and make the planer sled.
    I have some 12'' w x 6' L x 3/4 thk maple plywood shelving that I salvaged, some ash cutoffs that will be great for the cross supports and some mdf strips for the lamination pieces.
    Getting it flat may be a bit of a challenge (Don't know if my better half will let me glue up on the kitchen counter).
    thanks again for your help
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Moffitt View Post
    (Don't know if my better half will let me glue up on the kitchen counter)
    My wife had already gone to bed for the night, and I usually wake up before her ...

Not that she'd really care though...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

check out the planersled 2.0 thread. I am making one right now. the tough part is getting flat stock. especially with limited tools. I used 1/2 baltic birch and took some 4/4 rough cherry i have and made my torsion box frame with that. i have a crap shopmaster/homedepot benchjointer and got REAL colse to flat but its a bitch to have something that small 1 1/4" x 3/4" by 5' after rips stay straight. as dry as i thought, still will bend after releasing the stress. i got to where i had a bow of 1/32 over 5 ft so i lived with it. the best piece of baltic birch even had a little bow. i just made sure i pulled the bows together. the box is done and flat. made jigs for table saw for the other parts. will send pics when done

Welcome to the Family, Rob!

Congratulations on "getting 'er done". I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Welcome Rob.

I had no idea Brent was into weightlifting.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.