slot cutters?

larry merlau

Since Bill has brought up dados with the router, what about a slot cutter on the router table. do any of you use those to make the dados for the bottoms of drawers and if so ,, do you use them for other things as well??? what sizes do you suggest???

I've used the slot cutters, in the router table, but usually just do them on the tablesaw, like Don does. Quicker and easier that way.

If using "¼ inch" plywood, which is usually more like 5mm these days, I just use a rip blade on the TS, and make two passes, overlapping a tad, in order to get a good fit.

thats what i did as well jim but i had a dado blade in there an thought i could save a setup.. but the 2 flute bit wasnt the answer and even after the test cut it was the wrong size:eek:,, so i waited for the next batc of ripping and made the dados with the rip blade..

I have them for the shaper and will use them for a larger project. Say 10 plus draws. But for just a few the table saw gets the job.
I also have a set for the router just straight bits from rockler that are the same odd size plywood is. Saves having to set up twice for a shelf rabbit or dealing with the slot being to wide.

I do use them for drawer bottoms as you describe Larry. Not always but, at times. I have a 1/2" shaft with a 5/16" diameter post which seems about standard. !/4" shaft ones I have run a smaller diameter post but I'm not sure what it is. I have a four-wing 1/4" cutter and 2 or 3 three-wing cutters that stack along with some shims. I also have one sized for biscuits for the 1/4" shaft. I guess that's a lot of info without much focus. If I were buying one for drawer bottoms, I'd get one that cut 1/4" in height and have bearings that allow 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" depths.

glenn that where i was thinking but can you get one in the odd sizes we need for todays thin plys? looked at holbren and didnt see any??? would be nice to have a set for the plys like that.

I do slots for drawer bottoms on the tablesaw as well. I have use a shaper to do it, but in order for it to do a good job it has to cut pretty slow with the small diameter cutter that I have. I would much rather do it on a table saw with a feeder.

Even if I've got a whole mess of drawers, (today I assembled 30), it takes too darn long to tear down a shaper, and set it up again.