Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: table saw dust collection!!!!

Delton, Michigan

table saw dust collection!!!!

ok, how is your table saw dust collection? if you use a zero clearance insert, how does the DC do its job? i was recently doing a fair amount of riping of some oak stock and i had more on the table then out the bottom into the DC. no i dont use a over head scoop. so without the over head scoop how does yours perform? i am contemplating making a scoop for all of the scoops and those without scoops speak up and show some pics if you have them..i am gettun tired of sweeping the floor and dusting the rails to see the numbers for the next cut
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    This is a great question Larry cant wait to see some answers as I don't Know

Obviously an overhead guard with dust collection will help with most of that, but I believe the new Sawstop also uses a shroud around the blade beneath the table top to keep the dust from being thrown out the top. What about a homemade shroud? How feasible is that?

North West Indiana
    Larry great question, I am anxiously waiting to see what is provided. Once I have time to gather the statistics on the table saw outfeed table, build one, this will be the next step in my adventure. So, .
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Kemah, Tx. - Houston Suburb
    I have no dust collection system per se on my table saw. I have Zero Clearance Inserts for all of my blades and I buils a box (drawer) that slides on the floor under my table saw. Between the ZCI's, the pegboard skirting and the box on the floor, I would venture to say that well over 90% of all of my table saw dust and trash is collected in the box, drawer. I do have some sawdust on the top of the saw, but it is minimal. It wasnt planned to work out this good, but it did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P9200013.JPG  

Thomasville, GA
    I get very good dust and chip collection below the saw. Collection above the blade is much better since I added the TSGUARD I wrote about a while back.

The main reason I see for excessive dust above the saw being thrown back toward the operator is slight blade-to-fence alignment causing the back of the blade to slice off a little of the wood.

Something else just came to mind also. The gullet design might also affect how well the chips get thrown out below the table. I'm no blade engineer but I can see how some blades can retain a lot of chips until it rotates above the material, then toss them.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    I get pretty good collection above and below. I have an overarm. I also tried a tip I read in one of the mags; make the rear 2 inches or so of your ZCI slot wider to promote airflow. It seems to help but that could be subjective. I posted it here somewhere, I'll look.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    I have my DC connected to the bottom of my saw and it catches everything that falls under the saw... nothing on top, so I get quite a bit of throw back on the top... hadn't thought about a top catcher... may have to give that some thought too.
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I have the DC connected to the bottom but nothing on top and I get a lot of stuff comming off the blade even with the ZCI. When I use the dado set it's even worse. Since I don't use a guard.. I have no way to collect it on top.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

new york city burbs
    my 3660 had a 2.5 inch port underneath, which I have running into a 4 inch collection hose. Eh, gets alot, but still have to sweep.
    I cut a dime size hole at the end of my zero clearance plates, I dont get as much dust kicking back into my face, or at least I think I dont.