table saw dust collection!!!!

larry merlau

ok, how is your table saw dust collection? if you use a zero clearance insert, how does the DC do its job? i was recently doing a fair amount of riping of some oak stock and i had more on the table then out the bottom into the DC. no i dont use a over head scoop. so without the over head scoop how does yours perform? i am contemplating making a scoop for mine...so all of the scoops and those without scoops speak up and show some pics if you have them..i am gettun tired of sweeping the floor and dusting the rails to see the numbers for the next cut:)

Obviously an overhead guard with dust collection will help with most of that, but I believe the new Sawstop also uses a shroud around the blade beneath the table top to keep the dust from being thrown out the top. What about a homemade shroud? How feasible is that?

Larry great question, I am anxiously waiting to see what is provided. Once I have time to gather the statistics on the table saw outfeed table, build one, this will be the next step in my adventure. So, :lurk::lurk::lurk:.

I have no dust collection system per se on my table saw. I have Zero Clearance Inserts for all of my blades and I buils a box (drawer) that slides on the floor under my table saw. Between the ZCI's, the pegboard skirting and the box on the floor, I would venture to say that well over 90% of all of my table saw dust and trash is collected in the box, drawer. I do have some sawdust on the top of the saw, but it is minimal. It wasnt planned to work out this good, but it did.

Attachments

• P9200013.JPG
    P9200013.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 45
I get very good dust and chip collection below the saw. Collection above the blade is much better since I added the TSGUARD I wrote about a while back.

The main reason I see for excessive dust above the saw being thrown back toward the operator is slight blade-to-fence alignment causing the back of the blade to slice off a little of the wood.

Something else just came to mind also. The gullet design might also affect how well the chips get thrown out below the table. I'm no blade engineer but I can see how some blades can retain a lot of chips until it rotates above the material, then toss them.

I get pretty good collection above and below. I have an overarm. I also tried a tip I read in one of the mags; make the rear 2 inches or so of your ZCI slot wider to promote airflow. It seems to help but that could be subjective. I posted it here somewhere, I'll look.

I have my DC connected to the bottom of my saw and it catches everything that falls under the saw... nothing on top, so I get quite a bit of throw back on the top... hadn't thought about a top catcher... may have to give that some thought too.

my 3660 had a 2.5 inch port underneath, which I have running into a 4 inch collection hose. Eh, gets alot, but still have to sweep.
I cut a dime size hole at the end of my zero clearance plates, I dont get as much dust kicking back into my face, or at least I think I dont.

Here's that ZCI with the widened slot. I have some with and some without, I haven't decided yet if there is a significant difference although that is what the magazine tip stated.

Attachments

• ZCI-gap-001.jpg
    ZCI-gap-001.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 25
  • ZCI-gap-002.jpg
    ZCI-gap-002.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 25
glenn i just woke up some, first of all i had been using the TSaw fro some rough jointing as well.. which like bill suggested made for more than normal.. i dont have the widened slot but i did add 3 holes on each side of the slot to help draw in dust.. but i have seen some pros that dont run over arms and some how its not a problem or i just saw it after it was cleaned up before i got there:) i am not quit convinced on a top scoop yet..seems to me its always in the way??? but i am gettin aggravated with what i have too???

Larry i don't use a zero clearence unless I need to. I have a ts3650 and enclosed the bottom and connected 6" ductwork to it. Most of what might come back at me in the way of dust gets sucked up as it falls to the floor in front of the saw since I didn't seal up the slot to angle the saw. Like Bill says as long as you can keep your material from cotacting the back side of the blade you should get very little dust on top.

I just made mines better.
The dust used to come out the top pretty bad. I am going to say 10 to 15%' So I had to rebuild the motor on the saw and when I put the motor back in I left the lower shroud off. That cut the dust out the top down to 5 to 10%:thumb:
So now 90 to 95% of it makes it to the floor under the saw.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

i am not quit convinced on a top scoop yet..seems to me its always in the way???

I do only use it about 20% of the time. It loses its value on crosscuts, sled work, narrow cuts, etc. Ripping and panel work, that's where it helps. I imagine the pros are running greater CFM collectors than most of us have. Certainly sucking the dust out of the cabinet as fast as it can be made would prevent any return to the surface.

For example; I have a hose below the table of each of my bandsaws. The small saw gets the shop vac and DC is so-so. Tthe larger saw gets the cyclone right at the lower guides and I hardly get any dust even in the throat area and the lower cabinet hose . . . I just capped off as the dust never gets that far. So, lots of collection may be what you're after; just plain ole raw horsepower :D.

I have your basic contractors table saw(cira 1953 with the motor hung on the back. I enclosed the underneath and the back, and put a piece of furnace duct in the bottom. I manage to collect about 90% of the sawdust generated when I use my dust collector. And this NOT with a zero clearance insert, just the stock metal one.