Douglas Fir pine Beam - 38.67 per board foot

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, Just looking around for ideas on how to make a mantel shelf for my new fireplace and how to attach it. Came across this site.

http://www.fauxwoodbeams.com/wood-mantels-arcadia.php

For a 6"x6"X5' long douglas fir un-finished pine 'beam', they want $580 :eek: Thats $38.67 per board foot!

Granted, they do put a channel in the back to allow space for a 2x4 so you can mount it to the wall.

Gotta hand it to them. That's some kind of marketing!

Yikes! Pricey!

Is it fir, or pine? Faux, or real?

I guess if it's faux, and they have to *make* it, the price makes sense... ;)

If it's real, how long would it take to air dry something like that? ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Oh from the pictures it's real. Cracks, knots and all, which is part of the charm I reckon, but still, $580 for just one little ole beam with a channel in the back...

I've got an 8x8 hemlock beam out in the barn right now, looks just like their picture but a LOT longer. I c'd sell you three hemlock beams (virtually indistinguishable from doug fir as a beam), shipped, for that kinda' money.

What I found really cool is the 48 60 and 72" beams are the same price. So that's 48.33 pbf for the four footer.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I can go over to the mill here and get a hemlock 6 x 6 8 rough for 18.72
If I want it out of maple, white birch, or red oak it's gonna cost be 42 bucks:thumb:
Oh and Brent I had to read your post like 3 times before I got the 38 bucks not 38 cents:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Thinking to my self whats wrong with 38 cents a board foot. Sounds like a good price to me.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
I was basically just researching the 'how' of actually putting the thing on the wall to come up with the best way.

Looking at probably building something up. Just have to decide on the 'species' of wood I want. I don't think I'd consider buying anything from that company, but I did appreciate the installation options!

I could have sworn I saw an article in a magazine one time that had a real nifty way of doing it, but danged if I can find it now...

I was basically just researching the 'how' of actually putting the thing on the wall to come up with the best way.

Looking at probably building something up. Just have to decide on the 'species' of wood I want. I don't think I'd consider buying anything from that company, but I did appreciate the installation options!

I could have sworn I saw an article in a magazine one time that had a real nifty way of doing it, but danged if I can find it now...
Installing a hearth. Two words. "French Clete"

The way I'm planning on doing it is very similar to a french cleat, but much more like 2x4 lag screwed to studs, channel routed in back of mantel shelf, couple of screws from top down into 2x4, and matching plugs to cover up the holes.

Should be simple, and for that size of a shelf, pretty sturdy. Went and looked at stone and paint and flooring tonight. Heck, I'm easy, I could have made the purchases right then and there. But I've been told we need to 'think' about these choices...

One can purchase much, MUCH larger and better beams in the PNW for a 1/10th that cost. It's called reclaimed lumber. There's a place not 10 miles from my house that specializes in "deconstruction" of old buildings where it's not uncommon to find 12" x 12" x 24' (and larger) old growth Douglas fir beams. They resaw this stuff into some incredible lumber.