Commercial Wood Storage Rack?

Bill Satko

I need to hang some lumber up on the wall and do NOT have time to build my own. Trust me on this one, my to do list is filled up and I can not afford the time to build my own. What I would like is if anyone has any experience with a commercial version that they would recommend. Anything I should look for in features?

I have looked at a version carried by both Grizzly and Woodcraft that looks like this.

Wood Rack.jpg

Should I try and find something with a lip or angle back to prevent wood from sliding off or will that make it more difficult to load up?

I would appreciate any input.

how much you gonna stack bill?

I am not quite sure Larry, but I am sensitive to the fact that I can't overload either the rack or the wall. I don't think I will, as I am not going going to be using it for long term storage, but more for project storage. I want a place to put my current project wood up out of the way, so that I can work. There will be a little storage of some inventory items, but not much. I just don't have the room to do that sort of thing.

reason for asking was that i have seen some that had the support underneath like a rack brace which held a buch but that will restrict your available storage area..the triton style ones seem to be very sturdy, and i have seen some folks with alot on the normal ones similiar to what you have shown. will se if i can find a link to what i have seen.

here is what i have seen really loaded up bill..http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2020063/2020063.aspx?tab=information#information

Last edited:
I used the heavy duty double track standards and brackets right off the HD shelf at lest than half the cost of the Tritons sold by WC and they work just fine - and I have them pretty heavily loaded.

I've used the same ones Rennie describe also, worked just fine. Got the ones with two hooks on each shelf bracket.

Rob, looking at that picture in comparison to the size of your tools, I think I'd still use every stud for that load. :) Just my preference.

Like Rennie but, from Lowe's. It has grown since this pic but that's what I like about it; locally available and I can grow it as I need. Lee Valley sells this manufacturer as well. I would avoid any lip on the front.

No bother with the lip... but be sure the arms & standards are both built pretty heavy. I built wooden strongarms in my last shop (this one's pretty challenging 'cause it's all timberframe), but steel would have worked just fine. The longer the arms are, the happier you'll be with 'em - my wooden ones felt undersized at 24".

Do attach 'em to every stud. That helps prevent sagging between the arms, which may save some of your wood from being planed down to 1/2" before it's flattened again.

If I could find the wall space I'd opt for verticle storage. Thats how Sam Maloof kept his wood. It made it real convient for sorting the boards. And he had a ton of it....:D

but how do you keep it from gettin a crook to it don??? i have had some that way for around two weeks and it developed a crook in some of it....some didnt but some did. and io have more that i can get flat that i looked at and it is ok as well right now but i change directions on them to keep them straighter.

i do agree that its much easier to look at what yu got to work with, do that alot when tryun to grain match,, but this stuff is for the job not the whole stash..:thumb:

i do agree that its much easier to look at what yu got to work with, do that alot when tryun to grain match,, but this stuff is for the job not the whole stash..:thumb:
He had quit the stash too. 3 building full of wood easily 1,000,000 bd.ft.
4/,8/4,12/4. Just about any species.
When we did the workshop someone asked Sam if he would make a piece out of any wood the customer wanted his answer was "If I like the wood"

He had quit the stash too. 3 building full of wood easily 1,000,000 bd.ft.
4/,8/4,12/4. Just about any species.
When we did the workshop someone asked Sam if he would make a piece out of any wood the customer wanted his answer was "If I like the wood"

So Don Sam had a million board feet of lumber leaning up agents the walls of 3 different buildings?

So Don Sam had a million board feet of lumber leaning up agents the walls of 3 different buildings?
He had built some raised devider and there was ailes and ailes in the center of the buildings Picture going into a supermarket only all of the shelves are verticle. Non of it lables. I was walking with him through one of the building and he pulled out boards calling off the species as he went. In one building he had a walnut table top that wason piece easily 4 foot by 20 foo 12/4 Walnut that he was flatening using a tool the looked like a rotary planer. The tool was easily 12" dia. That was the only piece in the storage building laying flat. He said he was making a conferance table out of it.