Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcyle winter storage

Motorcyle winter storage

I'm a wimp. I don't ride my bike in the winter. It is stored in a cold shed with Stabilizer in a full gas tank. My question has to do with the battery. I am not concerned with it freezing.

I have been looking at solar powered (no power in the storage shed) trickle chargers.

Anybody got any experience here? And how bad can HF screw one of these up?

I have a old corvette that I keep a trickle charger on during the winter. Never heard of a solar one though. Sounds like a good idea. Why not just take the battery out and store it inside?
    Faith, Hope & Charity

If the battery has no charge, it can and will freeze and break. For any tractor or vehicle not going to be used during a season, I take the battery cables off. My dad had a trickle charger on his '48 Packard, something shorted out, burnt their garage to the ground, house was stripped to bare studs and rebuilt (insurance wouldn't pay to tear it down!) So I either charge a battery or unhook it. I do have the solar charger from HF, it is on the machine shed roof, when I have the winch on the big trailer, I park it alongside the shed, hook the cables up, keeps the deep cycle marine battery topped off that way. Dad had the same charger on his pontoon boat for the trolling motor. A lot of people laughed until they saw his battery always being full and no down time. So, HF hasn't in my estimation messed with this to badly, just won't leave another appliance deliberately hooked up at my house that could potentially start a fire. How's that for going around the barn the long way in not giving a concrete answer to your question!?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

They COULD screw it up - I can see how that could happen. They're not LIKELY to, though.

Ya don't have power out there? If not, it'd be a bunch cheaper (short and long term) to pull the battery & keep it on a tailed trickle charger over the winter. If you do, just use the tailed trickle charger in place.

Nearly any wall-wart trickle charger will work for a bike, including one for an electric-start lawn mower. Do get the polarity right or you'll regret it...
    -- Tim --

I have a friend who stores his in Florida... Of course he has to go keep it company and well exercised with frequent riding about.

I believe, right now he is wondering if he should ride a bit further South, frost again last night

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    If the battery has no charge, it can and will freeze and break. For any tractor or vehicle not going to be used during a season, I take the battery cables off. My dad had a trickle charger on his '48 Packard, something shorted out, burnt their garage to the ground, house was stripped to bare studs and rebuilt (insurance wouldn't pay to tear it down!) So I either charge a battery or unhook it. I do have the solar charger from HF, it is on the machine shed roof, when I have the winch on the big trailer, I park it alongside the shed, hook the cables up, keeps the deep cycle marine battery topped off that way. Dad had the same charger on his pontoon boat for the trolling motor. A lot of people laughed until they saw his battery always being full and no down time. So, HF hasn't in my estimation messed with this to badly, just won't leave another appliance deliberately hooked up at my house that could potentially start a fire. How's that for going around the barn the long way in not giving a concrete answer to your question!?

I'm walking out to the garage to unplug the trickle charger now
    Faith, Hope & Charity

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I ride mine...
    If I were in your shoes Carol, I'd take the battery inside and put it on a trickle charger.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

To answer your question. Solar powered chargers work just fine. Only downside with lower priced ones is that they are not weather resistant. They are intended to be put on dashboard of cars and trucks. Quality, and weather proof ones are costly but work fine.
    Other than that, just remove and take inside.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

One more thing... if/when you take that battery indoors, don't set it on a concrete floor. I know, I know, old wives' tales & physics says it can't happen, but I've watched a perfectly good (nearly brand-new) battery drain itself flat overnight sitting on a concrete floor... then keep its charge just fine afterwards sitting on a wooden stand.

No good explanation for the phenomenon - there's no way it CAN happen... but it does.
    -- Tim --

I knew that one, Tim. BTDT!