FS: Lie-Nielsen Carcass Saw

Jamey Amrine

Crosscut carcass saw, retails for $137, I am asking $115.

cs_lg.jpg

It is lightly used, but in perfect shape. Includes original box.

-Jamey

I know this comment might be near-sacrilegious but, here goes:
I make a few gun stocks and understand that the grain must be properly aligned in the narrow wrist area or breakage is inevitable.
That handle on the beautiful, and expensive LN saw has the grain running cross-wise at the narrowest and most vulnerable area. It looks like it is asking to break at that point. Since the wood is figured, it is even weaker than plain stuff.

After placing this post, I saw Tom Henry's post on his restored Disston saw. Now, his handle is made correctly, IMHO.
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1768

Last edited:
Frank
I think what you're seeing as the grain is actually the curly figure which is perpedicular to the grain.
You are right that wouldn't last 5 minutes if that was the grain direction
Dan

Dan's right, the grain is going the right direction. The curl runs perpendicular to the grain.

LN's been making these saws for a few years, at least. I have never heard a story of them breaking.

-Jamey

Also, it looks like that photo was taken straight from the LN website. It's not the actual saw. I would say that it might be a good idea when posting items for sale, if it's not a picture of the actual item, it should be mentioned as such, especially if used. Not trying to be a hard@$$ Jamey, but I could imagine that one could run into problems if the coloring or condition was not consistent with what is pictured. Not a big deal. Just something to keep in mind.

Rob,

I agree, the photo from the website can be misleading. The curl and grain could be completely different on the saw sold.

Amazes me that people ask and get so close to retail on a used LN saw. See it all the time on ebay, people pay more than list.:huh: