Display for Client

During Christmas vacation, Eric (FSIL) brought a guy over to the shop (notifying me well ahead of time for planning reasons) to see about buying some pens. So, I dug through some things I had on hand and put a solid core door over a set of sawhorses and created a table of sorts. I really hate displaying and selling. I am a hermit and really don't do well in this arena. Anyway, I snapped some photos before putting stuff away. In another post you will see the antler tool desk set.

Display.jpg
I anticipated he would be highly interested in antler pens as his son shoots bows for PSI or PSE :dunno::huh: I don't know what the initials are for the bow company.
Anyway, here is a set of antler pens. From the left, a closed end antler pen using the copper slimline pen kit.
Next one is a real bullet and shell purchased from our own Dale Johnson with tranny already inserted, antler top using the saturn pen kit.
Third from the left is a bullet cartridge kit, chrome, antler top barrel click style pen. This pen uses a gel cartridge and is one smooth writing pen!!
Fourth from the left is a 30/30 shell and the tip of an antler off of a deer that shell killed. My first go at this thing. Used a slimline nib, knocked out the primer, filled with epoxy, drilled, glued in tube and built the pen.
Next to last from the left, an antler pen kit, not real keen on yet, a gap between the cap and barrel. Showed it to the client, showed the problem and told it was not available at this time.
Last pen, my very first segmented pen, my very first antler pen. Drilled through the side of an antler accidentally, so in frustration put it away. After a couple of months, got a bright idea, cut the angles, used cocobolo wood on a Euro pen kit. Turned out well. This pen won Grand Champion at the county fair and was stolen from the glass case. Later recovered by an astute mom and returned after it went through the washing machine!

Display I.jpg
This is a closed end antler pen built with the black chrome slimline pen kit.

Display II.jpg
This is a group of acrylic pens. Green one second from left and farthest right, Jeff in Indiana from TPS casts these acrylics for my 4H clients as well as pink ones for the ones I donate to Relay for Life, and my blue and gold ones I give to my retiring FFA officers.

Display III.jpg
More acrylics, different body shapes. Black and white striped, call it the skunk pen. Next one is molten lava, grape and don't remember the green/yellow/black lined one's name.

Display IV.jpg
More acrylics.

Display V.jpg
A few odds and ends. Letter opener. Short narrow diametered pens are called credit card pens. Fun as well as useful parts for shortened pens built as custom pens. (a trick to keep up your sleeve!)
The fat short pens are called bullet pens but that is a real misnomer of a name. Great pens for ladies purses, no clip, but easily found at the bottom of a "busy" purse by feel. Also fit well in a man's watch pocket in a pair of jeans. Upper left of the picture, between the normal corncob pen and greenish blue corncob pen is the "Fruit Loop" pen.

So, that is the display I put out for the potential client. Was it worth it? It was on the Monday after Christmas, he ordered three antler pens on a Saturn pen kit, $40.00 each. Yeah, was a good day, had to have them for him on that coming Thursday, they were done on Tuesday, delivered on that Wednesday. Am going to frame and hang on the wall a dollar from that sale.

That's a nice-looking lineup there, Jon. Congrats on the sale. I'd say it was worth de-hermitizing for some money, huh?

Interesting pens. Can't comment on quality due to the photography. :( But, there is a good variety there. You should attract some attention, and sales, with those. Personally, I don't care for the bulgies and the holding end but a lot of pen turners make their pens that way.
For an archer, you might consider using cut up arrows for the bodies. Some guys on the pen forums do that. I have never made one but believe the Slimline is the only style suitable. If you can get a source of used arrows, your cost will be near zip and you might be able to sell a lot to bow hunters.

That's a nice-looking lineup there, Jon. Congrats on the sale. I'd say it was worth de-hermitizing for some money, huh?

They aren't the first sales I have had, nor the largest amount. But it is the first sale for the new shop as well as the first pens produced for sale in the new shop so felt it earned the traditional dollar bill in the frame type of thing I remember seeing as a kid in all the businesses. De-hermitizing, quite the term!!:thumb::thumb: He is a fellow deer hunter, quite the successful business person, but was easy to talk and banter with.

Congrats Jonathan! :thumb:

I bet by this time next year, you'll be a traveling salesman in a suit and tie?? :rolleyes::rofl::D :dunno:

Suit and tie, NOT going to happen. Would have to own one first. If the event requires a suit and tie, I don't need to be there. Building my own casket this coming year, wife and daughters know, put me in my work jeans, comfy shirt, boots and belt. When I get into that build, you will learn more of my sick humor and my intentions that now I have a son in law with my type of humor, I know my wishes will be fulfilled! :eek::rofl:

Congrats, I hope it is the first of many sales you make!:thumb:

I have another sale, once I dig down to the wood, the customer, a Methodist church, has finally given me the number of pens and kaleidoscopes they want. When their church burnt, I explained we could make things from the rescued wood, so I have wood from the alter, railings, pew ends, whatever was of size. This will enable them to have items from the old church.

I have another sale, once I dig down to the wood, the customer, a Methodist church, has finally given me the number of pens and kaleidoscopes they want. When their church burnt, I explained we could make things from the rescued wood, so I have wood from the alter, railings, pew ends, whatever was of size. This will enable them to have items from the old church.
You should have offered to build the furnishings for the new church..:D

Interesting pens. Can't comment on quality due to the photography. :( But, there is a good variety there. You should attract some attention, and sales, with those. Personally, I don't care for the bulgies and the holding end but a lot of pen turners make their pens that way.
For an archer, you might consider using cut up arrows for the bodies. Some guys on the pen forums do that. I have never made one but believe the Slimline is the only style suitable. If you can get a source of used arrows, your cost will be near zip and you might be able to sell a lot to bow hunters.

Yes, I agree, you should have seen the pictures I took that I didn't post!:eek::doh:
As for style, bulgies, slims, rings, etc. Most depends on the mood I am in it seems. I don't know if I actually have a preference. Like with this past customer, I try to have a variety, then they can choose which pen kit they like, then which body style they prefer. Had a customer a couple of years ago that didn't have a thumb. I sent her a couple different pens, then eventually a forked antler that she loves because of the ability to hold inbetween her two fingers and palm of hand. So it is up to them to that degree.
I have made a quiver full of arrow pens for archers. An arrow that kills a big buck is a good seller. I have used a lot of carbon fiber arrows, can get two - four pens from an arrow depending on customer's wants. Refletch them myself as it doesn't have to be perfect for flight.
Outdoorspeople make up the bulk of my sales, they start calling or coming over pretty soon now that the holidays are over, once the ice starts breaking up, then they get serious about getting their arrows or antlers converted so they have some type of prize or something utilitarian out of the past season(s).
One of the big things for the new shop will be building a specific photo tent and getting a setting on the camera so my work is better photographed/displayed.

You should have offered to build the furnishings for the new church..:D

My skills are not up to that criteria. My available time wasn't up to the task. I absolutely love and am fascinated by knowing you and watching the emergence of the alter furniture you are building. I am of the type, I would rather have a church that is built by local craftsmen rather than purchasing items from a catalog from unknown sources and unknown methods.
The church was a total loss, do not have much reclaimed wood. But was happy to have the mindset and skills to at least offer this to them.

Suit and tie, NOT going to happen. Would have to own one first. If the event requires a suit and tie, I don't need to be there. Building my own casket this coming year, wife and daughters know, put me in my work jeans, comfy shirt, boots and belt. When I get into that build, you will learn more of my sick humor and my intentions that now I have a son in law with my type of humor, I know my wishes will be fulfilled! :eek::rofl:

I remember you posting about the no suit thing now...wish I didn't have one either. :(

I look forward to watching and reading the casket build. My grandpa was buried in a suit, but with a carving knife and bandaids in his pocket. I always thought he should have been wearing his shop coveralls, that's how I remember him.

During Christmas vacation, Eric (FSIL) brought a guy over to the shop (notifying me well ahead of time for planning reasons) to see about buying some pens. So, I dug through some things I had on hand and put a solid core door over a set of sawhorses and created a table of sorts.
I really hate displaying and selling.
Hi Jonathon; The next time that feeling comes over you, send the guy to me!:rofl::rofl:

Mack, good to hear from you! I don't know, I just hate the display aspect of it, feels like I am showing off or something. Here, I don't mind showing pictures of my work, I don't have the feeling of putting someone on the spot. They can post their opinions pro or con. But have had pens stolen from displays, just feel like a panhandler or something. It is weird and obviously hard for me to explain. Now, I am not putting anyone down or labeling those of you who do the shows and fairs, I am in fact envious of your ability to do so. I guess, I have developed the attitude that this ability to turn, I utilize it to donate pens to good causes, good people and if I do happen to make a few bucks, yee haw!!!!

Mack, good to hear from you! I don't know, I just hate the display aspect of it, feels like I am showing off or something. Here, I don't mind showing pictures of my work, I don't have the feeling of putting someone on the spot. They can post their opinions pro or con. But have had pens stolen from displays, just feel like a panhandler or something. It is weird and obviously hard for me to explain. Now, I am not putting anyone down or labeling those of you who do the shows and fairs, I am in fact envious of your ability to do so. I guess, I have developed the attitude that this ability to turn, I utilize it to donate pens to good causes, good people and if I do happen to make a few bucks, yee haw!!!!

Jonathan i no what ya mean as that's how i feel also.I've tryed one, one time, and the wife keeps wanting me to try some more, but like you said i'd rather give something away than sell it.I've always said money is something i need not something i want.So if i make a buck or two i just give it to the wife or kids anyway.