bottle stopper kits

Here's a question for the masses . . .

Is the thread on the stoppers the same as the the MT mandrel thingy? It would be logical right?

The reason I ask is that I bought a Mandrel, drill bit and supposedly matching stoppers from PSI. The threaded end on the mandrel is smaller than the threaded end on the stoppers. The drill bit is BIGGER than either of them.

If I drill out the blank with the supplied bit, it SLIDES (not threads) onto the mandrel. If I use a smaller bit on the blank so it threads onto the mandrel its REALLY DIFFICULT to get the finished turned piece on the the stopper threads.

I only bought 5 stopper bases so I'm not fretting the issue right now. I really need to ask PSI what the deal is . . .

Just thought I'd ask . . .

BTW - I hate working for a living. It cuts into my lathe time. Over the X-Mas break I turned 3 pens and 2 bottle stoppers. I even turned one of the stoppers on X-Mas day and gave it to my sister at 2 PM the same day. I haven't turned anything since then.

Whew - I feel better getting that out . . .

Jim

now THAT made me get out the ol' caliper. the threads on the stoppers and the mandrel are the same, and the drill bit is just a touch smaller in diameter than the outside diameter of the threads. i think i will be ok.:thumb:

Is the thread on the stoppers the same as the the MT mandrel thingy? It would be logical right?

The reason I ask is that I bought a Mandrel, drill bit and supposedly matching stoppers from PSI. The threaded end on the mandrel is smaller than the threaded end on the stoppers. The drill bit is BIGGER than either of them.

If I drill out the blank with the supplied bit, it SLIDES (not threads) onto the mandrel. If I use a smaller bit on the blank so it threads onto the mandrel its REALLY DIFFICULT to get the finished turned piece on the the stopper threads.

I only bought 5 stopper bases so I'm not fretting the issue right now. I really need to ask PSI what the deal is . . .

BTW - I hate working for a living. It cuts into my lathe time. Over the X-Mas break I turned 3 pens and 2 bottle stoppers. I even turned one of the stoppers on X-Mas day and gave it to my sister at 2 PM the same day. I haven't turned anything since then.

Jim

I would say you got the wrong drill bit Jim.:thumb:

Jim

Jim, I think you got a messed up order from PSI. May have been their mistake...may have been yours (although I doubt it). I'd suggest calling them and seeing what they suggest. The mandrel and the stopper kits should be the same thread, and the drill bit should be a bit smaller. For most mandrels and most materials, it helps to use a 3/8" x 16 tpi tap to cut threads in the blank before screwing it onto the mandrel. The Ruth Niles mandrel has a groove in the threads so you don't need to use a tap, but I still prefer to take the extra time and tap the blanks anyway.

Dan, you're gonna like the Niles setup. I bought the starter kit before Christmas, and I'm sold on it.

Jim

Jim, Ruths drill bits, mandrel and stoppers match. The drill bit is slightly smaller than the mandrel and when screwing the mandrel into you blank it cuts threads into the wood. I put a slight amount of epoxy on my stopper threads so they won't come apart. I got some bottle stoppers and bits from another supplier. You are right in that they don't fit right.

Thinking about it the woodcraft set I got the drill fit the mandrel but the stopper was a hair loose and I had to epoxy them on. Bernie's post reminded me of that step.:thumb::rofl:

Jim,
You may have gotten the wrong bit... I use the PSI bottle stopper mandrel tht screws onto the head stock and the bit I got with it would drill okay, but on softer woods, I always thought the blank was loose... I have a drill bit set that has a multitude of sizes and just use a slightly smaller bit and everything works fine. I think the mandrel calls for a 3/8" bit, but that's really to big. I think I use a 23/64 th.

I haven't tried Ruth's stoppers yet... they look great, but last time I order I was placing a big order with CSUSA and they have a similar stopper to Ruth's that was about $.50 less and since I was already paying them shipping I just included the stoppers. They worked fine on the PSI mandrel.

I screwed a screw into a hunk of wood and cut the head off for my 'mandrel'. Used whatever drill was correct from my collection of bits. Worked fine.
BTW, making stoppers is a fun project. I give as gifts, have never sold any. To sell, they get kinda costly. A friend who is a turner sells his but he uses only cork stoppers to keep prices down.

I screwed a screw into a hunk of wood and cut the head off for my 'mandrel'. Used whatever drill was correct from my collection of bits. Worked fine.
BTW, making stoppers is a fun project. I give as gifts, have never sold any. To sell, they get kinda costly. A friend who is a turner sells his but he uses only cork stoppers to keep prices down.

That's why I use the silicone stoppers... they cost less than $1 and if I use scrap wood for the turning.. I have little money in a stopper... I don't like corks 'cause they stain, but the silicones are washable..

Chuck, I just got the new PSI catalog and their silicone stopper kits are $7.95 each. :huh:
Here is a stopper I like. Fun and easy to make. But, doe require at least a 16x42 and powerful lathe. ;)
The kits are a bit pricey so I only make for gifts.
They are great for traveling.

Attachments

• stopper closed.jpg
    stopper closed.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 10
  • stopper open.jpg
    stopper open.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 9
Chuck, I just got the new PSI catalog and their silicone stopper kits are $7.95 each. :huh:
Here is a stopper I like. Fun and easy to make. But, doe require at least a 16x42 and powerful lathe. ;)
The kits are a bit pricey so I only make for gifts.
They are great for traveling.

No that's for a package of 10 with the dowels... makes them $.80 each.