Couple of Things

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, For some reason I ordered a bunch of pen kits the other day, and decided I would get a pen tube insertion tool. Figured I should get the unhandled version, cause hey, If I'm going to get a wood turning tool, I should probably make my own handle for it.

Also realized that I didn't have a pen of my own in my favorite kit, the cigar style. I had either given away or sold all of the ones I had and was using my 'factory seconds' pens for my own use.

The pen tube tool is Maple with a paduak strip and copper pipe ferrule. Just finsihed with a little BLO
attachment.php

The Pen is Snakewood and a Rhodium Cigar kit. Just sanded it up with micromesh and buffed it out on the ole buffing wheel with some diamond paste.

attachment.php

The background for both, is the latest Lee Valley Catalog... :rofl:

Attachments

• pentubetool.jpg
    pentubetool.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 113
  • penforme.jpg
    penforme.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 111
That's a pretty cool insertion tool... I got the plain one with the black plastic handle and don't like it all that much... I would rather use a pair of needle nose pliers to insert tubes... I have more control, can turn and twist the tube as I insert it, don't get the tube stuck on the tool and get a lot less glue on my hands with the pliers... But yours is so much prettier than mine, maybe if I had one like that I would use it more.... very nice..

Those are cool. I just cut a piece of scrap on the bandsaw and make it so it fits in the tube. Students at school gob so much glue on a tube tool, I had to do something. Background is cool also!

My usual method is to goop some glue in the blank, goop some glue on the tube, and bang it flush on the nearest vertical or flat surface....

The insertion tool is going to be a step up for me!

Oh, and I really like those carvings too. Makes me want to give one a try on the posts I have around my garden. I left them full height, just in case I ever needed to put netting over the garden or something. Might be cool to have some faces on the posts to keep watch on things for me...