A Bit of Turning Wood

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
One of the neighbors came by yesterday to give me the heads-up that the local firewood lot (about a mile away) was apparently going out of business. The gate was open and they had a "Free Wood" sign out front.

The piles had been pretty picked over by the time I got there...most of what was left was the bigger pieces. All the better for me. ;) I loaded up a couple big pieces of what I think is oak, and filled the rest of the space with some large chunks of jacaranda. Since it was dark when I got home, I waited until today to unload it.

Especially with a few hundred pounds on the liftgate, the ol' Ranger was a bit hunched down this afternoon when I went out to unload it...

Skully's Firewood - 01 800.jpg

The two big pieces standing on end are the suspected oak, and the rest is jacaranda...

Skully's Firewood - 02 800.jpg

The smaller chunk on the liftgate is a jacaranda crotch...

Skully's Firewood - 03 800.jpg

What looks like two smaller logs behind that piece is actually the creased face of another large jacaranda log. It should make an interesting natural edge piece...

Skully's Firewood - 06 800.jpg

Both of the oak chunks are pretty checked on the ends that were exposed to air. The logs are big enough that I suspect I can still find plenty of turnable wood inside. I'll know more when I get into them, but at the very worst, the neighbors will have a bit of good oak firewood.

Skully's Firewood - 04 800.jpg Skully's Firewood - 05 800.jpg

Ran out of daylight today before I could get any of it cut up, but I'll probably start making blanks tomorrow. I think I did all right for the price. :)

...But may I add you need a bigger truck:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Or I need to at least remove the toolbox so I can get some of the weight in front of the rear axle. :rolleyes: It was pretty light in the front end driving it home. The handling was a bit sketchy. I was glad it was only a short distance on residential streets.

...What will you need to do to prepare them for turning?

I'll cut them up with a chainsaw into manageable turning blank sizes, then seal any cut surfaces with Anchor Seal. After that I get to move the blanks to the back yard and try to figure out where I'm gonna store them with the rest of the turning stock back there. I've still got wood from as long as three years ago back there that's waiting to be turned. (And it's getting harder and dryer by the day.) :doh:

That's the beauty of the liftgate. :thumb: I can't lift all the pieces, but I can roll 'em and stand 'em on end. The Tommy Gate does the hard work. :D

That's what I need on my Ranger...I've strained a gut a few times picking up pieces I shouldn't have... fun part is my wood storage is uphill behind the shop and not really accessible by vehicle... I back up as close as I can and roll it off the truck and hand truck it to the pile.

That's a really nice haul there Vaughn... good luck and have lots of fun..

When the weather breaks a little so I don't freeze my wussy tail off, I need to get started on my wood pile and cut some blanks... Last summer I built a nice storage rack behind the shop all tarp covered and such so I can dry some bowl blanks... it's still nearly empty. Only problem I will have with it is the wasps will love the covered space and I'll have a dozen red wasp nests under there this spring.:eek:

Way to go with that good haul Vaughn. Dont look like you gonna have material supply problems for a while:D;):thumb:

Boy i was wondering myself how you got them up there. I see pieces like that all around our greater area with all the construction sites we have here but i shy away from them for many reasons. Lifting is only one of them. :)

Or I need to at least remove the toolbox so I can get some of the weight in front of the rear axle. :rolleyes: It was pretty light in the front end driving it home. The handling was a bit sketchy. I was glad it was only a short distance on residential streets.

Vaughn, My Ranger is the short version.. standard cab.. it's a '91 and when my stepson and I picked up the flame box elder log I found, all the way back to the house - about a 8 or 10 miles drive - I felt like the front end was floating... I guess it was an advantage having my Ed in the truck with me since he weighs close to 280 or better..(he only admits to 280).. I was riding low in the rear though... I picked up a 12'+ log that was over 24" at the base and had to cut several pieces of the trunk in half on site before we could lift them together into the back of the truck.

With all that new wood to turn, do you think you could send me a picture of you turning some of it? :D

I was thinking last night about the pictures you need. :doh:I just need to get the shop a little more cleaned up and I should be set. I'll up the priority and just get 'er done. ;)