Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arbutus bowl

Arbutus bowl

Well I have been on the look out for some Arbutus after watching Micheal Hoslack do a bowl at out club meeting where he turned it to 1/32. It intriged me to give it a try. So after some driving to a remote construction site I found a recent blow down. I cut off a piece and .... here are the pics. It was a lot of fun to turn this. I am going back out today to get a little more of the tree.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arbutus bowl 010.JPG   Arbutus bowl 012.JPG   Arbutus bowl 016.JPG   Arbutus bowl 017.JPG   Arbutus bowl 022.JPG  

Arbutus bowl 023.JPG   Arbutus bowl 024.JPG   Arbutus bowl 028.JPG   Arbutus bowl 031.JPG   Arbutus bowl 032.JPG  

Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Oh yea I got it down to 1/16 thick and was attempting to do the feet when disaster struck and i am still looking for all the pieces. Well like anything lick the wounds of pride and just grabed the next piece and did it all over again. This time without blowing it up Now the fun starts with watching it dry and do the twisting and shaping that will bring it's own natural wonder to the piece.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arbutus bowl 2 001.JPG   Arbutus bowl 2 003.JPG   Arbutus bowl 2 004.JPG   Arbutus bowl 2 005.JPG   Arbutus bowl 2 006.JPG  

Arbutus bowl 2 007.JPG  
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    man what a bummer on the first one, but great job on the next. It seems like every time i try one of them thin bowls i end up blowing out the sides.
    Steve

You sure did a number on that log.
    Too bad about the disaster but congrats on the finished bowl.
    Very interesting that thin.
    What does that Arbutus compare to that most of us might be familiar with?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    man what a bummer on the first one, but great job on the next. It seems like every time i try one of them thin bowls i end up blowing out the sides.
    Steve
    The secret to this stuff Stephen as I have been told is that it has to be turned thin wet. The fresher the better. Unlike other woods that you have to rough turn thick and then wait to re turn. This stuff you take right to the finished product right away and sanding with wet sand paper. Though I didn't see much need for that as it was quite smooth with just the tools. I had to wipe my face shield down a couple of times from all the water spraying off it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    You sure did a number on that log.
    Too bad about the disaster but congrats on the finished bowl.
    Very interesting that thin.
    What does that Arbutus compare to that most of us might be familiar with?
    The log on the lathe was just an experiment as it was too late to be running the chain saw. Took the parting tool to cut it part way through then hand saw to finish it off. The wood is really wet and hard to pull a hand saw through without doing something like that. I had to do much the same thing with the table saw to split it as it was too big for my small band saw.

I wish that I could say that I had tons of experience with this stuff but this is my firt time. I have heard all kinds of great stories about it and have seen it turned in demonstration. I was given a dried roughed out bowl of the stuff and it is so dense that I was having to continually re-sharpen my tools. I would never attempt something this thin on a dried piece. I will say that wet it was like turning butter as it cut that easy. I had long strings coming off some 3-4 ft long. Just like spagetti. It was lots of fun.

I wish that I knew what it would be like in your area I went on line and found Strawberry tree and Bearberry and Mandrona, if that helps.

i can see that making some really sharp lamps drew and i even would part with a green back for one of those to use for a lamp.. well don for fresh spinny guy.your moving right along fast!!!!
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

We do this with sycamore over here in the UK, a kind of maple. Maybe fresh cut maple would work the same?

Pete

Drew that is very cool! Thanks for sharing.Did Michael mention any other species of wood that lends itself to that technique? Not much chance of getting any freshly cut Madrone in my neck of the woods

Drew that is real cool in fact way cool

I thought lamp too so you have two votes for a lamp shade. Must have been some fun turning.
    cheers