getting beyond annoying

Snow and very cold in Orlando, FL yesterday. Something is upside down. :eek:

At least we escaped the snow in Lake City, still never left the house yesterday except to get firewood, It's COLD !!.

We ain't equipped for this much cold! Heater's been grinding away non-stop for days, Don't even want to think about my electric bill this month :eek:

According to the forecasts, this ain't over yet. I'll never complain about the heat again (until next summer)!

Tony

Same temp here this morning. Didn't seem near as cold as the past few days, wind is real still. I didn't even suit-up to go check the cattle. Jeans and a jacket was all that was required.

Same temp here this morning. Didn't seem near as cold as the past few days, wind is real still. I didn't even suit-up to go check the cattle. Jeans and a jacket was all that was required.

As much as I miss my cattle, I guess the upside is that I didn't have to bundle up, drive out, risk getting stuck and feed. But, most of all, I do not miss breaking pond ice.
That is a difficult job and dangerous in several ways.

Orlando temps

Frank,

So how's that "global warming" working for ya? Oh, excuse me that is now "climate change"! This from the very same folks that can't tell us with any degree of certainty what the weather is going to be tomorrow!!! Next we'll hear we are entering the next "ice age". Oh wait, that was the 70s....

Jack

Frank,
It hasn't been up even close to 'freezing' yet this year here. Mostly highs in the low 20s, and we've had 21 inches of snow so far this year - and we're not even in the 'snow belt' or the cold part of the country!

It's 19°F and snowing again as I write this. Tell me more about this 'global warming' stuff...

Hmmm.

It was -10c here this morning (14f). A bit chilly on the bike ride to work, but you warm up quickly. Dressing in layers helps, of course. At least the roads were fairly well plowed -- no snow tires on my bike! -- which means not too much slipping around.

Oh, and the kids have been on the backyard rink since Sunday. Still want a few more nice cold+clear evenings so I can flood the rink and build up the ice so it is even thicker. Thicker it is, the more it will last!

It has been a winter for icicles though... funny how that is. It's been years since we've had any amount of ice dams on the front of the house, and this year we have a big one again. And as I look around, lots of houses here have them also. Strange.

Happy January!

Today we might hit 25...35 tomorrow!! The snow is melting with the sun and that is causing fog in the night and morning which causes ice which makes travel bad...plus the 30+" of snow is turning brown and black from dirt and sand. This is my least favorite thing about snow...it's going to be a dirty car month for sure!

In the San Antonio area, we've had several nights/days this year where the temps were well below freezing for a lot of hours. We'll usually see some low temperatures a few times a year, but not for extended periods. We also got a LOT of rain in the early fall, after a very dry several months before that. My old house (1949 pier and beam that's been stailized with concrete piers) has many new cracks in the the sheetrock that weren't cracks I repaired in July/August 1998... some in the middle of the house where I wouldn't expect them. Also put up a lot of new crown that now has noticeable gaps, both in joints and at the ceiling. :(

Not much I hate more than painting white on a colored wall and ceiling. Sigh.

Hmmm.
Oh, and the kids have been on the backyard rink since Sunday. Still want a few more nice cold+clear evenings so I can flood the rink and build up the ice so it is even thicker. Thicker it is, the more it will last!

It has been a winter for icicles though... funny how that is. It's been years since we've had any amount of ice dams on the front of the house, and this year we have a big one again. And as I look around, lots of houses here have them also. Strange.

Happy January!

Good on you for building a backyard rink Art. You're building lifelong memories there too!
They're a hit-and-miss proposition in NS, with temp spikes and rain/snow mix so often. A few very keen hockey families have some pole barn type buildings they flood, which are a surer thing.

As to ice dams, after 25+ years here, there are a couple of roof valleys on the old house I've learned to keep clear of snow with my trusty roof rake, which seems to prevent the problem. That trainload of attic insulation I put in just didn't get down into those awkward corners :(

Nice winter day here today, high of -10c, blue sky.

Happy flooding. Don't forget to bring the hose in!
Peter