Big walnut vase

Don't mean to pile on, but over the hollidays I had to finsh up a few projects. This is made from a piece of walnut I brought back from Missouri, taken from a downed tree in my parents yard. I't kinda special cause my parents sold the farm last summer after 55 years (where me and my 6 siblings grew up) and we moved them to a nearby town (Kirksville) for health reasons, they are 80 years old. I've brought back enough wood to make and give each bro/sis a keepsake from the "old place". This is one. It is 19" tall by10"wide, turned through the endgrain, with Bubinga on the top and bottom. I confess I had to go through the bottom to get it completely hollow, I dont have the specialized equipment to do it all through the mouth. The finish was a shellac sealer, then several coats of antique oil.

Attachments

• walnut urn1.jpg
    walnut urn1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 66
  • walnut urn2.jpg
    walnut urn2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 52
Beautiful piece

That looks really great. I love the look of walnut. It will be a very long time before I could try something that large. I am sure which ever sibling gets this piece will have a family heirloom to hand on down to their child.

That is just absolutely gorgeous Barry:clap::clap::clap: What a great piece of walnut and a perfect turning with it, AWESOME:thumb::thumb::thumb: What a great thing to do for your siblings:)

Barry, that is a beautiful piece. I too did a set of shallow bowls from a plank of walnut that came from my wifes family farm. Made one for each of our kids. Those type of projects are worthwhile.