A Deal with My Wife

Rich Aldrich

I struck a deal with my wife. I am going to sell my trap gun to buy a lathe. The gun should sell for $1500, so I am looking at possibly a Jet 1642, but I am considering the new Grizzly.

I used to have two hobbies: Shooting (Skeet, Trap, 5 Stand and Sporting Clays) and Woodworking. With the kids starting college, I had to make a decision of which one to keep. Since I can do woodworking year round and actually get some money out of it, I decided to stop shooting. By the time I start shooting again, I would probably want a new gun anyway.......

Mornin' Rich.

Several weeks ago I got a chance to use the Jet 1642. All in all a nice machine, however, I found something I didn't like about the "Spindle indexer." You had to hold it in to keep the spindle from moving. I use the spindle lock on my Nova to hold everything in place while putting a piece in the chuck. I find it's necessary when using a two tommy bar chuck, of which I have several. Also, if you want to do fluting or other decorations to a spindle, you need it to lock into place. I could not find a way for the spindle to lock.

If this is important to you, you might look around at Nova and other manufacturers.

Bruce

Bruce,

Thanks for the heads up. I am going to a guy's house this weekend and he has a Jet 1642, so I will make sure I ask him about the spindle lock. I have never used a lathe before, so this will be my first experience.

Rich, I purchased a 1642 evs last summer and have been very happy with it. I went with the 1.5 hp model and for me it has all the power that I have needed. Good luck.

Mornin' Rich.

Several weeks ago I got a chance to use the Jet 1642. All in all a nice machine, however, I found something I didn't like about the "Spindle indexer." You had to hold it in to keep the spindle from moving. I use the spindle lock on my Nova to hold everything in place while putting a piece in the chuck. I find it's necessary when using a two tommy bar chuck, of which I have several. Also, if you want to do fluting or other decorations to a spindle, you need it to lock into place. I could not find a way for the spindle to lock.

If this is important to you, you might look around at Nova and other manufacturers.

Bruce

The spring loaded lock button is that way so you don't accidentially burn out your motor. The feature is not a fault or defect, it is designed in idiot protection insurance.
I use a steel rod in the indexer to lock the spindle when I need two hands.

I just got the 1642 2hp 220v model. It ought to outlive me. :thumb:

Regarding the indexing; isn't it interesting how some folks some one hting as a shortcoming and others see it as a good feature? :rolleyes:

As for me, I welcome the idiot proof stuff. And if I don't there is always a way to defeat it. :rofl:

Congrats on the upcoming new lathe, Rich. I'm guessing you'll use it more than the shotgun it replaces.

...Several weeks ago I got a chance to use the Jet 1642. All in all a nice machine, however, I found something I didn't like about the "Spindle indexer." You had to hold it in to keep the spindle from moving...

As Carol mentioned, there are ways to keep the spindle lock pressed in without the extra hand...

http://docs.google.com/View?docID=d4b7vjd_30dgfrd5&revision=_latest

This relates to the Powermatic, but I suspect similar tricks would work on the Jet.

It will probably be cheaper to feed the lathe than the shotgun. I used to shoot about 7000 shells per year. I reloaded my own shells. At the time, lead shot was $11 to $14 per 25# bag. Now it is near $40 per bag. You get about 375 shells per bag, so this is about $760 per year just for shot. Then there is power, primers and sometimes replacment hulls.

Very few people actually break even shooting. At least there is a chance to make a little money with a lathe.

Rich - when you come over this weekend, remind me to show you how to lock the spindle. It's no big deal and when you have to use 2 hands to put something in the chuck - you do have a index pin you can use to lock everything tight.