I think chipmonks have been using my lathe...

Chuck Ellis

I have a Jet 1442 and had to change a belt the other day... the change went smooth and everything back together and working fine... for a while... then suddenly, with a 12" bowl blank on the faceplate, the lathe went from 450 rpm to somewhere around 1200 rpm... that in and of itself was exciting...suddenly to have an out of balance propeller whirling in your face...

I opened the headstock to see what was the problem and discovered I had a slipped "C" or something that let the Reeves unit slip and jam against the housing.... since it was near the end of the day, I just left it for the next day, but it turned really cold for this area and I haven't been back to the shop for about 4 or 5 days..

This morning I went out to take a look.. it's still about 36 or 38 in the shop, but I have a new heater and decided I would try to fix the lathe... when I shined a light inside to take a better look, this is what I found.

I don't know how they got that grub screw out... gonna have to take away their allen wrenches I guess..:rofl::rofl:

About 3 weeks ago, I discovered two or three caches of these in my big tool box.. in two different drawers... they probably knew this cold weather was on the way.

Attachments

• nuts 002.JPG
    nuts 002.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 141
  • nuts 003.JPG
    nuts 003.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 130
  • nuts 008.JPG
    nuts 008.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 110
  • nuts 018.JPG
    nuts 018.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Hey Chuck thats priceless. :):thumb: You should put up a game camera and catch them in the act. They gonna be in for a shock come time in winter when they expect to come to the pantry for food and find it aint there. They might just decide to eat the electrical cord instead.:rofl::rofl:

Hey Chuck thats priceless. :):thumb: You should put up a game camera and catch them in the act. They gonna be in for a shock come time in winter when they expect to come to the pantry for food and find it aint there. They might just decide to eat the electrical cord instead.:rofl::rofl:
Very Punney Rob:rofl::rofl::rofl: I bet it was Alvine cuase I don't think Theodore or Simon would do that..

Ya really gotta' WATCH them dang chipmunks - they may LOOK cute, but they'll TURN on ya! :) :) :)

You might think they're silly to use your lathe like that... but thanks to the wonders of digital photography we can all see they're nuts! :)

Uhhhhhhhmmmmmm, guys, don't quit your day jobs!!!

Allen, little rough on the equipment don't you think shooting a 12 gauge in the shop to kill a little chipmunk?:eek: But I agree, they are just another version of a rat and as destructive if not more once they gain entry into a home. Get rid of them now.

Uhhhhhhhmmmmmm, guys, don't quit your day jobs!!!

Allen, little rough on the equipment don't you think shooting a 12 gauge in the shop to kill a little chipmunk?:eek: But I agree, they are just another version of a rat and as destructive if not more once they gain entry into a home. Get rid of them now.

my eyes arent so good these days, no aiming.

Wow Chuck, you must be reeeaaally patient. I usually get my oak fully grown. Let me know when those are ready to turn, I'm curious about how long it takes using your method. Talk about free wood, you don't even gather it yourself.