Administrator
Staff member
They are back at it again!

attachment.php

Attachments

• getoffmyyard.jpg
    getoffmyyard.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 199
I still find it odd every now and then to walk by a window and just see a herd of horses out on the front lawn...

Not too many real fences out here. Technically, our property is on 'open range'.

There are some bands of estray horses that roam the neighborhood. Technically, wild horses are horses on blm land. Horses that nobody owns that hang out on private property and indian lands are 'estray'.

The lady across the road used to feed them 3 times a day, until another neighbor got fed up and worked with the indians to round them up and take them off to market. I think she said they hauled off about 70 that time. So far I count about 2 bands of horses now with about a dozen horses per band.

I think it'd be cool to find mustangs grazing in my lawn. Your topic heading made me think of this pic...

That's some serious firepower!

It is kind of cool. Just have to keep aware when they are around. They are a little skittish around humans, but they wouldn't think twice about kicking in the head of a foolish little rambunctious labrador retriever :eek:

brent, if I looked out my front window and had that view, forget the horseys, I dont think Id ever get anything done. That is an incredible view, a beautiful picture, the light snow coating, incredible man, just incredible, actually makes me feel good.

brent, if I looked out my front window and had that view, forget the horseys, I dont think Id ever get anything done. That is an incredible view, a beautiful picture, the light snow coating, incredible man, just incredible, actually makes me feel good.

Every time I go outside and look at the view, I thank god for how fortunate I am for however brief a time I'm able to be here to see it. The wild life we have here is just an extra bonus!

Now, I just need to get me fat but up the hills in back everyday. My preferred form of exercise, as the view from higher up is even better...:thumb:

And people ask me why I left New Jersey to move to Idaho.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hey Brent, you mean you can't swing a lariat and do the horse whispering thing?:D

My brother who lives in Florida bought one of those wild Mustangs years ago. He and his wife trained horses as a side job. He is a police officer who was on the SWAT team and did anti-terrorist training. Multiple black belts in different martial arts and an expert marksman. First time he tried to break that horse he got thrown and broke his collar bone. He got lots of razing from the rest of the family. I called him up and hollered "Hi Ho silver away":rofl::rofl:

Hey Brent, you mean you can't swing a lariat and do the horse whispering thing?:D

Just across the valley they have the biggest wild horse adoption facility.

http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/prog/wh_b/adoptions.html

I've thought about it, but we don't really have the setup for horses right now. I know a guy in the valley that runs a farm animal sanctuary that has a couple of burros they adopted. They are pretty friendly and nice animals, for having been wild.

I have a feeling if I put a rope around one of these guys I'd be going on a sleigh ride over a buch of cactus and sage brush!

I have a feeling if I put a rope around one of these guys I'd be going on a sleigh ride over a buch of cactus and sage brush!

As a kid living in Wyoming in the '50s and early '60s...open range was the norm. We lived in a rural apartment complex that had been WW1 Army Officers family quarters. It was enclosed with barb wire with cattle guards at each end. The cattle guards kept the cattle out but the horses, wild and ranged ranch horses, lept the cattle guards to feed out of the garbage cans in the winter.

We heated with coal and each apartment had a coal bin that looked like a large 6'x6'x6' box. 1/2 the roof was hinged so coal trucks could back up and scoop coal into them. They had dutch doors for the end user to get coal out of them. My father came home one day to find my brother and I hiding in the coal bin with a rope in our hands and a noose at the other end over the top of the trash can. We got a little irrate when Dad scared the horses off to come into the house. He pretty well agreed with your comments Brent. IIRC..he also muttered something about not living long enough to be adults.....:huh:

When I was a kid we had a few horses, and one was a big blue roan mare that had been caught as a wild yearling filly in southern New Mexico. By the time we owned her she was very tame, and one of the best "kid horses" we had. You could pile three or four kids on her and she'd just calmly do what she was told.