Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop safety

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Shop safety

While working in the shop today I needed to narrow a few pieces. The were a little wide and I just needed to cut a little off to make them all equal. I had done this huundred of times before without incident and got lazy. The push stick was just 3 feet away. I elected to not get it. It could have been a lot worse. Be careful boys and girls, sharp tools can hurt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fingure.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	41228

It could have been a lot worse..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

And Just think Don if you had a saw stop you would be looking for a new insert and still have that cut.

Good to see you didn't lose any digits.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Zoiks!

Thanks for the reminder, and I'm glad it wasn't any worse than that!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    And Just think Don if you had a saw stop you would be looking for a new insert and still have that cut.

Good to see you didn't lose any digits.
    and a new blade as well. happy to see it wasn't any worse, be careful eh?
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

That's a shaving scar to remember!
    Scars are real tatoos, only with true stories attached!
    Don, glad to see that finger still attached and not held for the camera by the other hand. I remember reading something Vaughn posted one time about the blade throwing a pushstick backwards. I never cut my pushsticks narrow, just always let them get cut with the board while it was getting cut. I don't know how many years I did this. Well, I read that post that morning, that afternoon trimming a few boards and BAM, pushstick about blows through the palm of my hand!!
    It is a great hobby/field of interest, but man, one second, one gotta get it done moment, and we can have a long recuperation time thinking of how much time we actually saved. Glad it wasn't any worse than it was. Go throw those shorts away and start a new day tomorrow with clean underwear!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Glad you can still count to ten, Don. The "...and got lazy" part of the story is the part we all have to watch out for. Especially on the tasks we've done hundreds of times before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    ...I remember reading something Vaughn posted one time about the blade throwing a pushstick backwards...
    I don't think it was me. I've had cut pieces get thrown back (in my early days before I learned how to rip thin strips safely) but not a push stick. I don't use 'em on the tablesaw if I can avoid it. I prefer the Grrippers push block instead. I do use a stick on the bandsaw sometimes, though, but that won't throw it back at you.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Tablesaws scare me. Probably a big reason why my ww repertoire is pretty limited.
    Glad it wasn't worse.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I don't think it was me. I've had cut pieces get thrown back (in my early days before I learned how to rip thin strips safely) but not a push stick. I don't use 'em on the tablesaw if I can avoid it. I prefer the Grrippers push block instead. I do use a stick on the bandsaw sometimes, though, but that won't throw it back at you.
    You were in the conversation and said something about not cutting or hitting the push stick with the blade cause it would kick back, and I was thinking, I do it all the time. Next time, BAM!!!!!!!

Don, like others have said, glad you can still count to ten! And actually, bet your ole fingers are tougher than a hotdog's hide, so you wouldn't even had that much of a scratch. Ta heck with blade and stopblock, those are replaceable!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Thanks guys it was a such a minor scratch I almost didn't bother posting but I figured it was a good way of reminding everyone to work safe.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Minor scratch, let's see that reaction from him if that happens with the Granddaughter!
    Jon