Shop safety

Don Baer

Staff member
While working in the shop today I needed to narrow a few pieces. The were a little wide and I just needed to cut a little off to make them all equal. I had done this huundred of times before without incident and got lazy. The push stick was just 3 feet away. I elected to not get it. It could have been a lot worse. Be careful boys and girls, sharp tools can hurt.

fingure.jpg

It could have been a lot worse..:eek:

And Just think Don if you had a saw stop you would be looking for a new insert and still have that cut.:thumb:

Good to see you didn't lose any digits:thumb:.

That's a shaving scar to remember!
Scars are real tatoos, only with true stories attached!
Don, glad to see that finger still attached and not held for the camera by the other hand. I remember reading something Vaughn posted one time about the blade throwing a pushstick backwards. I never cut my pushsticks narrow, just always let them get cut with the board while it was getting cut. I don't know how many years I did this. Well, I read that post that morning, that afternoon trimming a few boards and BAM, pushstick about blows through the palm of my hand!!
It is a great hobby/field of interest, but man, one second, one gotta get it done moment, and we can have a long recuperation time thinking of how much time we actually saved. Glad it wasn't any worse than it was. Go throw those shorts away and start a new day tomorrow with clean underwear! :eek::rofl:

Glad you can still count to ten, Don. The "...and got lazy" part of the story is the part we all have to watch out for. Especially on the tasks we've done hundreds of times before.

...I remember reading something Vaughn posted one time about the blade throwing a pushstick backwards...

I don't think it was me. :huh: I've had cut pieces get thrown back (in my early days before I learned how to rip thin strips safely) but not a push stick. I don't use 'em on the tablesaw if I can avoid it. I prefer the Grrippers push block instead. I do use a stick on the bandsaw sometimes, though, but that won't throw it back at you.

I don't think it was me. :huh: I've had cut pieces get thrown back (in my early days before I learned how to rip thin strips safely) but not a push stick. I don't use 'em on the tablesaw if I can avoid it. I prefer the Grrippers push block instead. I do use a stick on the bandsaw sometimes, though, but that won't throw it back at you.

You were in the conversation and said something about not cutting or hitting the push stick with the blade cause it would kick back, and I was thinking, I do it all the time. Next time, BAM!!!!!!!

Don, like others have said, glad you can still count to ten! And actually, bet your ole fingers are tougher than a hotdog's hide, so you wouldn't even had that much of a scratch. Ta heck with blade and stopblock, those are replaceable!

Minor scratch, let's see that reaction from him if that happens with the Granddaughter!

By the way, glad you did post it, keeps us all on our toes (and helps keep our fingers where they belong!).