Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $96 BF!?!?!?

$96 BF!?!?!?

OK, my heart has slowed down enough to type. I just paid $96 BF for some Gaboon Ebony. (Actually, I got a hunk of 1 x 3 that cost $40.)

Is that insane? I know this stuff is expensive, but is that what anyone else is paying?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    OK, my heart has slowed down enough to type. I just paid $96 BF for some Gaboon Ebony. (Actually, I got a hunk of 1 x 3 that cost $40.)

Is that insane? I know this stuff is expensive, but is that what anyone else is paying?
    No just you Rennie
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

So far pink ivory is at the top of my list at $74 per board foot
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    sounds about right. I paid $100 bdft for some when I lived in California. Actualy it wa a piece1x2,18. I onlu ise it to make plugs when I working with Maple..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I bought a bunch of 1" x 6" ebony pen blanks at Rockler for .99 each. I assume its not the same stuff you bought.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I bought a bunch of 1" x 6" ebony pen blanks at Rockler for .99 each. I assume its not the same stuff you bought.
    I hope not!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

A Pen Blank that's 3/4 X 3/4 X 5 is 2.1825 cubic inches. So a blank costing $1 would be $52.20/bf
    Bob Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Anderson View Post
    A Pen Blank that's 3/4 X 3/4 X 5 is 2.1825 cubic inches. So a blank costing $1 would be $52.20/bf
    but for figuring out board feet, 3/4" is the nominal size for 4/4. so your example is .03 board feet, or 5 cubic inches. the price per cubic inch at a dollar for 5 cubic inches, is 20 cents, or $28.80 bd/ft.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    but for figuring out board feet, 3/4" is the nominal size for 4/4. so your example is .03 board feet, or 5 cubic inches. the price per cubic inch at a dollar for 5 cubic inches, is 20 cents, or $28.80 bd/ft.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    4/4 x 4/4 x 5 or 5 board inches, or .03 board feet. $1 for a 1x1x5 blank, 20 cents per board inch. 144 board inches in a board foot. 144 x .20 = $28.80 bd/ft.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking