$96 BF!?!?!?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
OK, my heart has slowed down enough to type. I just paid $96 BF for some Gaboon Ebony. (Actually, I got a hunk of 1 x 3 that cost $40.):eek::eek::eek:

Is that insane? I know this stuff is expensive, but is that what anyone else is paying?

I haven't checked recently but last time I checked, I think Gaboon ebony was about $80/bf in this area. My supplier sometimes has "scrap" ebony that you buy by the pound, I don't remember the price but it was pretty expensive. The pieces look like stuff that was sawn off a log, rough and short. Haven't seen scrap recently, however.

Mike

I haven't checked recently but last time I checked, I think Gaboon ebony was about $80/bf in this area. My supplier sometimes has "scrap" ebony that you buy by the pound, I don't remember the price but it was pretty expensive. The pieces look like stuff that was sawn off a log, rough and short. Haven't seen scrap recently, however.

Mike
Woodworkers source currently gets $129.00 bf
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/ebony_gaboon.html
Plus shipping!:eek:

So, maybe $96 aint so bad.:dunno:

advantage lumber is the place I purchased almost all my ipe from.
they are very reasonable, a pleasure to work with, and seemed extremely customer friendly, as well as helpful and I really appreciated them having my lumber all cut and waiting on the loading deck when I arrived, paid in advance ofcourse.
I loved their showroom, which seemed to be underway when I arrived, but they had a piece of each type of lumber they stocked on display shelves, so you could pick it up, feel the weight, the smell, the color.....not a tiny piece, like a foot or so.
Id purchase from them anytime, and Ive shipped from them also, they let you know all the costs upfront.
great place, nice people, just had to find it in bufflo.

Must be new math....length by width by thickness devided by 144 = bdft.

In actual board feet, you're correct. But many lumber outlets figure BF based on the rough thickness of the lumber, not the finished thickness. For pricing purposes, a 3/4" thick S4S board is calculated as being 4/4 thick in many cases. So in this regard, Dan is correct.