Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haiti earthquake

Haiti earthquake

I don't think this is political or religious. Mods may zap if you disagree.

From a news report on the Haiti earthquake.
    "For this to be the deadliest quake on record, the death toll will have to top the 2004 Asian tsunami that killed more than 227,000 and a 1976 earthquake in China that killed 255,000, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

While nobody knows the death toll in Haiti, a leading senator, Youri Latortue, told The Associated Press that as many as 500,000 could be dead."

For those so inclined, pray for the injured, families of the dead and welfare for all affected.

Personally, I cannot wrap my mind around the concept of a half million dead in one fell swoop.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

They were showing aerial video of the damage this morning on Today show and it is unreal the amount of destruction there. My Heart goes out to them.
    Last edited by Jay Caughron; 01-14-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: corret spelling

A seminary colleague was one of those killed. Ben Larson, 25, a senior at Wartburg Theological Seminary, was there with 3 other Wartburg students teaching local church leaders. Their stay was just for the month of January. We call that J-term. It is an opportunity for a special ministry experience and three of them are part of the required curriculum.

Ben was there with his wife and cousin, also seminarians, along with a annother classmate there with her church group doing humanitarian work. The State Department is working to get them back home, as regular travel is interrupted.

I am stunned, as is my whole seminary community. We knew Ben as a bright young man, with a hugely generous heart, and as a talented musician. Wartburg is a very small seminary. The students are very close, a tight community, as are the alumni.

I echo Franks comments. There is much to pray for in these very trying days. The destruction reaches worldwide in its impact. If it is in your heart, a few bucks to any humanitarian organization working to help Haiti would very much appreciated. Mine will go to Lutheran World Relief. Thanks for reading and sharing some of the pain.

So tragic.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Very tragic indeed.

Carol, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. We'll keep his family in our prayers.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Good on you Frank for posting this. I dont think we as woodworkers can ignore the goings on around us and act like all is well in the world when such a human tragedy unfolds before our eyes.

Its real hard to watch and feel so helpless when one is far away and without the resources to make an impact.

I personally have found it quiet moving to see the utter destruction and then to see the poor people totally running around in chaos.

Makes one very thankfull for ones own blessings. Times like this one realizes just how much you have when you have civil society and structures in place that can function in emergency.

It also shows you which nations are man enough to step up and be counted.
    cheers

Hopefully the U.S. will now recognize the nightmare that is the Haitian government. If anything, it's worse than Iraq under Saddam. At least there you weren't as likely to starve to death.

Carol, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

In my younger days when I did not have a shop I would have jumped on a support team. They are in my prayers.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Joseph I have to disagree with you - Haitian people have made great strides to clean up their government in the last couple of years... They will find a stable government - hopefully in the near future.

Improvements in all aspect of life for them and then this terrible earthquake! I cry for them and pray for their help.

I also have donated to the Haitian relief fund via Episcopal Relief and Development org.
    Last edited by Paul Gallian; 01-15-2010 at 04:05 AM. Reason: date correction and added hopefully
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    A seminary colleague was one of those killed. Ben Larson, 25, a senior at Wartburg Theological Seminary, was there with 3 other Wartburg students teaching local church leaders. Their stay was just for the month of January. We call that J-term. It is an opportunity for a special ministry experience and three of them are part of the required curriculum.

Ben was there with his wife and cousin, also seminarians, along with a annother classmate there with her church group doing humanitarian work. The State Department is working to get them back home, as regular travel is interrupted.

I am stunned, as is my whole seminary community. We knew Ben as a bright young man, with a hugely generous heart, and as a talented musician. Wartburg is a very small seminary. The students are very close, a tight community, as are the alumni.

I echo Franks comments. There is much to pray for in these very trying days. The destruction reaches worldwide in its impact. If it is in your heart, a few bucks to any humanitarian organization working to help Haiti would very much appreciated. Mine will go to Lutheran World Relief. Thanks for reading and sharing some of the pain.
    Amen....