Thread: Lee Valley Digital Height Gauge

Lee Valley Digital Height Gauge

I have some Lee Valley gift cards burning a hole in my pocket. Came across this:
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...240,41064&ap=1

Anyone have it? Feedback? Better alternatives?

Probably more than I'd spend for something like that but since it's free money, I'm willing to splurge a bit.
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

Rob I love all Lee Valley stuff, but there are much cheaper and just as accurate ways to achieve height measurement than this.

My question to you would be do you have all the other tools that are essential to woodworking already and are you merely looking for another gadget cause i would consider that first if i had "free money".

Dont get me wrong, i did the similar thing before i joined the forum and benefited from some wise words here. Then i got to thinking about tools and now i start with make my own first cause its fun and then buy what i cannot make or really need next. Then comes nice to haves.

My feeling is more and more of these tools are targeting the accuracy of machining metal yet we are dealing mostly in wood which moves greater than the precision with which we can machine it.

Just some food for thought.
    cheers

Hurry! send them to me I'm an expert in extinguishing burning gift cards!
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I stay closer than Toni so send them my way.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    I stay closer than Toni so send them my way.
    Too late Rob, I'm first on the queue
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I got the same one from another provider on sale awhile back. I did not care for the stiff movement in its original configuration. The arm out to the side was OK for lower it to the object being measured but I like to be able to alter height whilst observing the measurement change. Fortunately, this didn't matter because I bought it to do this: http://www.familywoodworking.org/for...ad.php?t=16214
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

oh yeah? i'm closer than both of you...
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Maybe we should have a poll to see who gets em...
    cheers

Thanks Glenn. That's a good idea.
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Rob I love all Lee Valley stuff, but there are much cheaper and just as accurate ways to achieve height measurement than this.

My question to you would be do you have all the other tools that are essential to woodworking already and are you merely looking for another gadget cause i would consider that first if i had "free money".

Dont get me wrong, i did the similar thing before i joined the forum and benefited from some wise words here. Then i got to thinking about tools and now i start with make my own first cause its fun and then buy what i cannot make or really need next. Then comes nice to haves.

My feeling is more and more of these tools are targeting the accuracy of machining metal yet we are dealing mostly in wood which moves greater than the precision with which we can machine it.

Just some food for thought.
    I would side with Rob on this one Rob. Ok now that was weird saying Rob twice in the same sentence.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............