Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had their shop inspected by Fire Marshal? ( Updated with results of inspection

Anyone had their shop inspected by Fire Marshal? ( Updated with results of inspection

Hi All

Even as a mod not sure where to put this so ?? here goes.

Some of you know my issues with the NN. Well it aint stopped. Now the town called me and they want the fire marshal to visit my shop and give it the once over.

I have all the goodies you can imagine for fire protection

• Extinuishers
    • Smoke alarm connected to the home ones and it is powered and battery backed up.
    • Dont have dust lying around.
    • Have not even got my dust collector hooked up yet so that cannot be looked at as an issue.
    • Heat is provided by locally made insurance approved sealed natural gas radiant heater on thermostat.
    • Walls are covered by two layers of 5/8 drywall so fire rated i would say.
    Anyone had experience with this kind of inspection. I know codes will be different i am looking at belts and braces. NN has called every town councillor in the book and evey institution you can think of. Now town says they ready to slap an ignore on provided fire marshal gives it the thumbs up.

My initial approach is to refuse inspection, but i aint got nothing to hide.

Open to all and any ideas to get a clean bill of health.

I am beginning to think real bad thoughts about this NN. Getting real mad but that dont achieve anything.

Town guys are pretty nice guys they just have a job to do so i cannot blame them.

Any thoughts and help appreciated as long as it dont involve trying to reason with NN.
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 01-20-2010 at 02:11 PM.
    cheers

First off, I have missed the prior problems thread(s).
    With that said, what is the reason for the inspection?? Are you a business or is the shop personal? If it is personal, I dont see why they would even bother with inspection. If it is business, that is a different story and I dont see how you can refuse. However, Canadian law may be much different that here. Heck, it can even be city/township/province specific for all I know.

But if the inspection will make the problem go away, I say go for it and be done with it.

my 2 cents

Last edited by John Bartley; 12-02-2010 at 02:30 AM.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Rob,
    It sounds as if you've got all your bases covered. While my shop's never been inspected I have been through some inspections on other buildings. Just be friendly with the fire inspector show him anything he wants to see and I'm sure everything will be OK.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Oof, that's one seriously warped individual you have there. I still don't understand the problem he has with your hobby. Sounds like NN needs to get a different hobby than hasseling you...

You might just want to check up on what sorts of things the Fire Marshall might want to check on.

Probably one of the biggest things would be to have some kind of a metal locker for storage of finishing materials and solvents, and maybe a metal canister for storage of oily rags...?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

If they want to hit you for something they can but most of the Marshal are nice guys . All my bases are covered but I get a stick at least once every 10 years. My last stick was for a fire proof cabinet for the 55 gal drum of Lacquer thinner. Before it sat out for years and he just walked past it.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

The only other possible things I can think of to check are:
    1. electrical issues (no overloaded circuits, extension cord issues, etc)
    2. chemical issues (things like paint, DNA, etc in a metal cabinet)

I think the only thing that i have not dealt with is the storage of chemicals. Not that i have tons of stuff but what i have is stored in a wood cupboard. Guess i have to find myself a metal cuboard maybe an old filing cabinet will do and put the thinners and the like in there. Hey how come Home depot has gallons of this stuff just on the shelf. ???? I mean a person could drop a cigarette right next to the stuff and it could burn through the plastic jugs and present a far greater hazard than my little pint worth.
    Brent I think you raised an issue i have not thought of dealing with to an adequate manner. Thanks. Now you know how lucky you are to have the space and the kids on your front lawn. Whatever you got to do to keep it that way i would do it cause you dont wanna live like we do on top of each other.(:

Thanks for all the support and suggestions. You prompts reminded me i got a friend that has a brother who is a captain in the adjacent towns fire dept. Gonna call him for suggestions and fix anything he says before i get the town to follow through on the inspection.

Just for the record this is my hobby shop no business. Hey at the rate i take to do something i would be starving and dead by now if i relied on it for an income.
    cheers

I was going to suggest the metal storage cabinet for flammables, and perhaps a metal can for rags you've used for such. Might just move that stuff to the house for the inspection to be safe if you can't get a cabinet prior.

When it's over, you should thank that NN for looking out for your safety.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Rob,
    On the paint locker and rag bucket, they should be painted red and Identified as "paint" and "rags" in while letters. The bucket needs a lid.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward