This weekends turnings.....

Saturday I did some "Honey Dues"....Finally got to my shop...cut some corian pen blanks; drilled and glued the barrels in.....They I played for a short period of time with the Jamieson hollowing rig. At the advice of an experienced turner....I am going to turn a couple of thin walled bowls for practice before turning my first hollow form......so....Here's the first bowl....unfinished.....it's just an experiment....box elder.......4 1/2" w by 1 3/4" h......2 corian pens...my manager a '95 West Point graduate got recalled to active duty. I don't have to tell you where he's going.....After conversing with a pen turner who just returned from his 2nd tour in Iraq....I turned a thin slimline....and used corian and black titanium hardware.........
Comments and critiques welcomed!

bb3.JPG

3p1.JPG

Wow!

Hi Ken, WOW that box elder is looking good. I love that stuff. How thin are you in this picture? I am working on a hollow form and going for a fairly thin wall on it right now. Thin is my problem, I'd hate to go through so I am going slowly. You can see it in this forum in my "Projects under way" post.

Those pens look fantastic! That black titanium is a real classy finish in my opinion and the corian is a good durable choice. He should love those pens.

Tell him that we send our prayers for a safe return and our heartfelt thanks for doing the job he's being called on to do. I am a Viet Nam era vet and my wife was a Navy brat so we both understand what it's all about.

Mike

Looking good, Ken. How do you like the rig? Isn't it nice having that kind of control over the cutting tip? :D So far I've turned one bowl/pot and one little 4" x 3" hollow form. I'm like a kid with a new pair of skates and a new bicycle.

Oh, and my hat's off to your manager, too. Give him thanks and wish him the best for me.

Mike....the walls on the bowl are 1/8-3/16".......Navy '68-76.....Vietnam era......

Vaughn.....It was a kick to have that much control! I was shocked how realitively easy it is. I can't wait to get back to it.