Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Hollow Form (in progress)

First Hollow Form (in progress)

Thought I'd show the roughout of my first official hollow form with the new Monster rig. This is a little 4" x 3" piece of walnut immediately after taking it out of the DNA bath tonight. The wall thickness is about 3/8", so I still have some wood to work with for refining the form a little more. I was just jazzed to be able to get pretty even wall thickness through a 1 1/4" diameter opening.

Attachment 3747 Attachment 3748

The pics don't show it, but there is some nice figure in this piece of wood. It should finish out nicely in a month or so. Assuming of course, that I don't blow something up between now and then. I've been stocking up on turning blanks from eBay in anticipation of getting the hollowing rig, so I've got a number of nice blanks waiting to meet their destiny (or doom, depending on your viewpoint). Now that I've test-driven the rig, I've seen that my factory tool rest is a bit too high. I've got a new one on order, and I'll probably wait until getting the new one before turning any more with the rig. Plus, I've got some flatwork orders I need to take care of.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    ...................Now that I've test-driven the rig, I've seen that my factory tool rest is a bit too high. I've got a new one on order........................
    What, you don't own an angle grinder................

Looks good, I'm going to have to make me one of these captured hollowing rig things, one day......
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 01-23-2007 at 05:39 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Lookin' good, Vaughn.
    Stu, you have a welder and access to steel and stuff. Why not make your own tool rest to suit your tastes and needs? Lot cheaper and maybe better than store bought. I get mine made at a local weld shop for about $10.00 each.

Hi Frank

I do make my own tool rests, and they don't cost even $10, but that is a good price.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

The forms looking pretty good on that one Vaughn! Can't wait to see it's finished version!

Hey there Vaughn, looking good! I'm anxious to see the finished product.

Mike

Who says a square peg won't fit in a round hole? Let me at a lathe for a few minutes and it will!

Never Say Never

NON TURNER

i have a simple question for you folk, how do you get your shavings out of the hollow form. to me they would build up inside there to some extent. and no i am not intersted in gettin hooked
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

You are correct Larry. In fact, the recommended hollowing method has you turn a chamber of sorts to allow for that. Then you blow them out with an air compressor.......use your fingers..........lathe off, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    i have a simple question for you folk, how do you get your shavings out of the hollow form. to me they would build up inside there to some extent. and no i am not intersted in gettin hooked
    A spoon works well, with the lathe turning........... but use at your own risk!
    William Arthur Ward

Looking very good - please post the finished pictures!
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk