Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: white oak makeup vanity

white oak makeup vanity

felt good to get back out into the shop. Only managed to get 3 hours in, I felt wasted after that, I dont want to push too much after 5 days off my feet.
    16x22 inch top, slightly tapered legs on 2 sides, 3 inch aprons.these are not measurements I would have liked to use, it has to fit in a tiny space in a bedroom, did the best I could with what I was given.
    Underside of top will have mirror, hinges are the ones I asked about, will be a flourescent plug in light with on button on back apron to illuminate mirror.
    Some small cleats on bottom of aprons to attach a 1/4 piece of maple ply for bottom.
    This is not a paying job, a request from my niece.
    I believe the legs are oak, but I never know sometimes with all the shades of oak I have, they could be ash. So gel stain will even it all out.
    One problem I ran into, wasnt rushing, but rear apron cracked with pocket screws. I glued it and clamped it.
    some pics of where I am right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 1597 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1598 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1599 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1600 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1601 (Medium).jpg  

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    You are a machine Allen. Spend a week in the hospital then right back in the shop.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

3 whole hours and that is all you got done slackerm Heck it would have taken me 3 hours just to make the cut list Dang Allen, ride um cowboy

cut list, or cutlets?
    maybe 3 hours to make chicken cutlets with some sauce and cheese, cut list?
    my niece called and told me 22 inches wide, 16 inches deep, and only 26 inches high.
    My cut list is on my workbench, made the legs 1 and 3/8th thick, subracted, made the aprons.
    I plane and joint every part at each machine, never going back to do different parts on different machines.
    13 pieces of wood, planed, jointed, sized. I might go out there tonight and add the bottom and start sanding.

He's baaaaaack!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Wow Allen, I want to go to the hospital now. Maybe I can get some shop time in then.

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I want some of what was in that IV. It's like he is supercharged now.

just remember shop safety allen, tuck that cape in...
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

trust me on this one, you want no part of plasma infusion. there are no guarantees.
    I did not read the specs on the hinges until tonight, and I might be off 1/4 of an inch from ideal installation, so Ill either set the top off the back edge or rout over a heavy roundover on the back to allow it to lift up.
    Ill deal with it when I get to it.

the good news is that I had my son lift off a pile of wood today and I thought I had some some ash underneath it all, turns out it is all white oak.
    Last edited by allen levine; 01-19-2010 at 03:30 AM.

Good to see you back at it Allen!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward