white oak makeup vanity

allen levine

felt good to get back out into the shop. Only managed to get 3 hours in, I felt wasted after that, I dont want to push too much after 5 days off my feet.
16x22 inch top, slightly tapered legs on 2 sides, 3 inch aprons.these are not measurements I would have liked to use, it has to fit in a tiny space in a bedroom, did the best I could with what I was given.
Underside of top will have mirror, hinges are the ones I asked about, will be a flourescent plug in light with on button on back apron to illuminate mirror.
Some small cleats on bottom of aprons to attach a 1/4 piece of maple ply for bottom.
This is not a paying job, a request from my niece.
I believe the legs are oak, but I never know sometimes with all the shades of oak I have, they could be ash. So gel stain will even it all out.
One problem I ran into, wasnt rushing, but rear apron cracked with pocket screws. I glued it and clamped it.
some pics of where I am right now.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1597 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1597 (Medium).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 55
  • wood stuff 1598 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1598 (Medium).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 54
  • wood stuff 1599 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1599 (Medium).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 53
  • wood stuff 1600 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1600 (Medium).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 74
  • wood stuff 1601 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1601 (Medium).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 69
cut list, or cutlets?
maybe 3 hours to make chicken cutlets with some sauce and cheese, cut list?
my niece called and told me 22 inches wide, 16 inches deep, and only 26 inches high.
My cut list is on my workbench, made the legs 1 and 3/8th thick, subracted, made the aprons.
I plane and joint every part at each machine, never going back to do different parts on different machines.
13 pieces of wood, planed, jointed, sized. I might go out there tonight and add the bottom and start sanding.

trust me on this one, you want no part of plasma infusion. there are no guarantees.
I did not read the specs on the hinges until tonight, and I might be off 1/4 of an inch from ideal installation, so Ill either set the top off the back edge or rout over a heavy roundover on the back to allow it to lift up.
Ill deal with it when I get to it.

the good news is that I had my son lift off a pile of wood today and I thought I had some some ash underneath it all, turns out it is all white oak.

Last edited:
thanx gentelmen, going to have to take the day off today, the flu like symptoms hit me real hard last night, waiting for the doc to call, maybe I pushed a bit too far.
I got the bowl templates and just waiting on the collet extension, need to make some candy dishes for gifts.

ok, the crack inside the oak apron was not that repairable, glued, but a big piece came out, and although glued back and sanded, it was not pretty.
The outside came out better.
Noone looks inside, but I have alot of odd size pieces of hardwoods that arent used for much else then I cut them down for pen blanks or trash.
So althought the piece is all white oak, I took some cherry, and attached the aprons to the inside of the oak aprons. Used screws, wanted to use brass, didnt have any, too lazy to go buy, so I used stainless.(I use stainless now for everything, but not appropiate here unfortunately)
I did it, so thats that.
I had alot of cut offs of thin pieces of spanish cedar/mahogany, so I made a little border for top to hide seams of aprons. Wasnt 45 degrees so after over 90 minutes playing with mitre saw, I conceded and tacked them on, chiseled some wood to fill in holes, used some famowood.
Its not dry or sanded. Im not happy, Im about to scrap it all and restart.
The top came out lovely. My tops are all coming out flat and even.( I usually cut all wood down to 3.5 inch widths and glue up, but this white oak was very flat and I left all the pieces at 6 inches, 3 of them glued up, cut it down to 16 inch width)
Not sure where Im going with this one, a bit embarrassed to show it.
Im not focused, I seemed to be rushing this a bit, having diminishing strength each day, I found myself rushing the past 2 days, so I think this piece will be headed for trash bin, Ill try to salvage legs.( I know its cherry and spanish cedar with the white oak, but the insides I wasnt worried about, they will be covered. The screws in back wont be seen, light would have been covering it)
I have to get busy and get back to plastering walls and painting anyway.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1606 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1606 (Medium).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 33
  • wood stuff 1605 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1605 (Medium).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 33
  • wood stuff 1604 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1604 (Medium).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 32
  • wood stuff 1603 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1603 (Medium).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
way too many errors, very displeased with poor craftmanship

I think the 5 day hospital stay made me a moron.
I designed and cut everything before I read the specs for hinges.
The top doesnt go on. Theres no clearance for lift in rear.
What I think I need to do now, is cut the rear of the top square, cut another 1.5 inch piece width of top, route the same profile, and make somewhat of a split top, at least it will look better than what I have now.
You can laugh, I did.
I knew I was doomed from the first time I read about installation of hinges, but I played with the top today, I can still use it, just cut the rear edge off

Attachments

• wood stuff 1608 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1608 (Medium).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 30
  • wood stuff 1610 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1610 (Medium).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 29
  • wood stuff 1611 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1611 (Medium).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 29
  • wood stuff 1613 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1613 (Medium).jpg