Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phili - upcoming

Phili - upcoming

Hello All,

First off, I wasn't sure where this type post should reside, so feel free to move it if I missed the mark.

Looks like I'm going to be traveling up to Phili for about a week and a half beginning of next month. Any members know enough about the area to perhaps provide me with ideas of places, primarily relating to woodworking, that I might check out while I'm there? Since I just retired , I'm just traveling along with my spouse and will just be messing around while she's working. I'm interested in seeing historical locations, too, like the Liberty Bell et al. If there are any sources for old hand tools, I'd enjoy checking them out as well. Seems many types of the old tools just never make it down to the Austin TX area.

Hope all has been well for everyone. Been a while since I had the opportunity to check out all that's going on within our site. Now I should have more time to do so, if the honey-do list drops off a bit. <grin>

Regards,

Lee
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

Austin is too far south for northerners like us. We'd probably melt.

Enjoy your cheesesteak! Also, I hear the midwest is having a glut in the maple market at the moment, so you might be able to get some nice wood at a good price.

Yeah, weekend before last it actually felt more like we were up in your neck of the woods as we had some temps down in the teens (quite unusual for our area).

Maybe I'll have to make a separate trip to the midwest, after we get back.
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

If you're Driving to philly, and want to haul back some lumber, there's a great lumber mill off of I-81 in MD called Hicksville Lumber. No coffee yet this morning, so the exact directions escape me at the moment, but they are known for high quality and very reasonable costs. However, Saturdays are their busiest day. Oh, also, No cussing allowed, and be aware of the guys on the forklifts, they don't slow down for Anyone.

If you want directions, let me know I'll scare some up for you.
    -Ned

Ned,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, (or is that fortunately) we're flying into Philly. We'll have a car to get around, but alas, no way to transport the lumber.

Regards,
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

This talk about a trip to Philly is nice and all, but everyone seems to be missing the major stealth gloat in this thread...

Congrats on the retirement, Lee! From what I hear about retirement, you're gonna be busier that ever before.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Vaughn! Good catch. Funny how I felt like I must just be on annual leave, at first. But, it was GREAT when I realized that my leave will never end. Wahooo!

Regards,

Lee
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

Lee:

I'm from New Jersey and live about 90 minutes from Philly.

If you are a turner Penn State Industries is around Philly. I've never been and would be interested in any feedback from others on whether it's a Destination Location.

Winterthur is in Delaware, not very far from Philly (30 miles S/E ). http://www.winterthur.org That's like going to the corner store for you Texas folks. It's a museum founded/funded by one of the DuPont's . I went there years ago - before the woodworking bug burrowed in.

I'm going to watch this thread to see who else piles on with some more attractions.

Jim

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    There used to be a guy on SMC creek who started up a woodworking school in Philly. He was a knuckle drager too. I can't remember his name. I went over there to try and find him but that place has gotten so busy it made me dizzey.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

It's Philadelphia Furniture Workshop and the guy is Alan Turner.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.