Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: design question.

design question.

i have a hutch in the planning stages, i have a end panel that is 70" tall and its 16" wide. the first panel will be aprox 18" to the mullin. do i runt he next seperation horzontal or verticle. another words split it in thirds or have double 8" going up the rst of the panel the doors are going to be 9 light glass. i think i have explained it clearly if not ask me to clarify.. the verticle setup would ike a entrance door similary but the horizontal would allow for abook matched panel. and might be more stable. the panels are going to be 1/4 to 3/8 thick. cherry
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Not sure I totally understand/picture what your doing. But my answer is what would look best?
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

this is what i am tryin to show

this what i am trying to show jeff. hope this helps

Thats what I was thinking. If it were me I would go with 'C' assuming equal spacing. I think it will look the best. Followed very closely by 'A'. Actually the more I look at it I think I slightly favor A. It balances better with the doors.

I love the B panel but it is looks upside down to me. The doors in my house are that style, just flipped. My Kitchen bar has that design on the back. The furniture through out my house I have built uses that. It shows up everywhere, even in my garage doors. But, I think you panel is a bit narrow. But I say that without seeing it too.

So there is my opinion. It's worth what it cost you.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

I'm with Jeff on this one. The look of "A" sits best with me. "B" is a nice look, but it seems somewhat out of balance for some reason.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Hi Larry,
    I would like to kick in here but let me pump you for more information, will you use stiles and rails on the side and how wide? Did you want them to be really fine or are you headed for a more plain look? Will there be a heavy crown and then the base, what is that all about? is it high, thick?
    What is the entended look of the big drawer fronts? All that glass will add to a beautiful front, take your time designing this, it'll be a masterpiece!
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Schaubhut View Post
    Hi Larry,
    I would like to kick in here but let me pump you for more information, will you use stiles and rails on the side and how wide? Did you want them to be really fine or are you headed for a more plain look? Will there be a heavy crown and then the base, what is that all about? is it high, thick?
    What is the entended look of the big drawer fronts? All that glass will add to a beautiful front, take your time designing this, it'll be a masterpiece!
    Shaz
    WOW that set me back aint used to thos KIND words. but if i can muster it the way i see in my head it be ok..it goes to my daughter for a college grad present. just abit late though 3yrs here choice.
    stiles and rails yes, i was leaning towarsd 2" styles with rails the same. was lookin at some type of crown more plain though perhaps justa 2 part cove and bead like jamie did. the base is par of the unit. the drawers were going to have cockbead like jeff did i think only an difernt apporch to it also the doors were ging to have some beading as well the side panels are gonna be curly cherry as well as the drawer frts. hiding some drawlides full extension.

If you are going to use slides, used the concealed undermounts. I would also recommend doing false fronts. That way you can do your beading pretty easily and just get them centered and attached.

I agree with the stile and rail sizes. For the crown, two part would work and is simpler to accomplish. Might consider a cove cut on the tablesaw as well as it is plain but elegant in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    WOW that set me back aint used to thos KIND words. but if i can muster it the way i see in my head it be ok..it goes to my daughter for a college grad present. just abit late though 3yrs here choice.
    stiles and rails yes, i was leaning towarsd 2" styles with rails the same. was lookin at some type of crown more plain though perhaps justa 2 part cove and bead like jamie did. the base is par of the unit. the drawers were going to have cockbead like jeff did i think only an difernt apporch to it also the doors were ging to have some beading as well the side panels are gonna be curly cherry as well as the drawer frts. hiding some drawlides full extension.
    Hi Larry,
    Building gifts for the ones you love are the best projects!
    Okay, with 2" stiles left and right you have 12" of space left in the center between them. If the wood for the panels is really nice and you can fill the 12" panel I would choose "A" . You may think of running a vertical in center of the bottom panel.
    Make sure there is at least 2'' of rail showing above the base and 2" of rail showing below the crown.The panel will look more complete and balanced.Can you add some cockbead around the panels on the sides too?
    Allow enough room for the crown to " crown the top" be careful not to scrunch it down to far, and allow the base enough size to look strong enough to support your "gift of love". This is my opinion and hope it is understandable, Oh, will you have a mid rail dividing the drawers from the doors?
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

mid rail

Oh, will you have a mid rail dividing the drawers from the doors?
    Shaz.

i will have mid rail and its one complet unit not two part like someof the others,, the cock bead on the sides is somethingi hant thought of and am not sure how that would work or me being able to do it i was planning on use arail and style set for the side panels but could just use T&G and thn add cock bead like you mentioned. only be a 1/4 deep though..1/4 panels???