Spinny guys can do flatwork.

Paul Downes

Just to prove that us vortex folks can do flatwork I thought I 'd show my pen cabinet base. I made this from ambrosia/spalted curly maple (drawer fronts) walnut stained birch ply and walnut trim. img_2955 (GIMP Image Editor (2)).jpg img_2956 (GIMP Image Editor (2)).jpg

The drawer pulls are of course, turned walnut. It seems that no flatwork is complete without some turning to flatter it. Finish is shellac followed by BLO rubbed in and then waxed.

Attachments

• img_2953 (Modified in GIMP Image Editor).jpg
    img_2953 (Modified in GIMP Image Editor).jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 51
Paul that beautiful!

<Stupid_Question> What do you store in your Pen Cabinet Base? </Stupid_Question> It's quite large . . . I need to get my pen turning supplies under control but I don't know what to do with them. . .

Cheers

Jim

Last edited:
Paul that beautiful!

<Stupid_Question> What do you store in your Pen Cabinet Base? </Stupid_Question> It's quite large . . . I need to get my pen turning supplies under control but I don't know what to do with them. . .

Cheers

Jim

Best thing to do to get your pen supplies under control is to put them all into a box. Put my address on the box and give it to the guy in the big brown truck.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
We have a box for bushings. A 3' x 7' wall of shelves for blanks. And a draw in an old Nappa cabinet for kits.:thumb:

Jim few questions are stupid. The top cabinets are former blueprint drawers. and they are chock full. The top drawer holds pen boxes. the next 4 down are full of wood pen blanks- one drawer for exotics, one for premium spalted maple, one for curley and birdseye maple, and the other one figured native woods like red boxelder, burls, etc.
The next 5 drawers hold tools, sand paper, and lots of kits. I also have other cabinets which hold 1000's of pen blanks.

I needed the base so I could get the thing mobile and free up 2 sawhorses. I also needed space for resin blanks since I also cast those. Plus storage for lathe chucks and exotic woods. The back of the base actually has 3 shelves for storing longer exotic woods.

Been trying for a while to get the pen business off the ground and this cabinet was sorely needed.

The drawer face wood was in a lot I purchased from a divorce sale. I really didn't want the stuff but was leaned on to help the guy out. So I bought a few machines from the guy and he told me to "take everything". It took 2 truckloads to get all the wood home. That maple didn't look like much because it was rough sawn and I just happened to pull a board and ran it through the planer to see what it looked like. WOW :D

I did hear that this guy got into fly fishing/ tying so I might just surprise him with a custom fly tying box. I felt bad for him and felt like I took advantage of his situation because it turned out so well for me, even though I just made an offer for a few machines. He was real happy with the offer and made me take everything, but it still bothers me.

Great-looking cabinet, Paul. And I like the idea of a fly-tying box as a surprise for the guy who sold you the wood. :thumb: