Can a single dovetail bit make sliding dovetails

Kevin Reid

I am interested in making some drawer slides using sliding dovetails. I guess I have two questions. Is it possible to make these without a dovetail jig? And do I need just one dovetail bit to make both the pins and the tails? Ok, I told a fib. I actually have three questions. What angle dovetail bit would you recommend I buy?

Chuck:

With the shape the world is in Im not sure I would want it. Guess I will just stick with the wood working. Of course with more things made out of wood in this world it would be just a little bit better.
:wave:

Glenn: By the way do you mind is I inquire what size router bit and angle you use for those dovetails?

I believe the one in that pic is a 1/2" x 1/2" x 14* and is in 5/8" stock. I use a 3/8" x 3/8" x 9* for thinner stock like here: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39601&d=1259080496 in 1/2" stock. Like drawer-lock or cope and stick joint bits, material control is a big part of your success. The tenon jig will handle steady control for the vertical cut. For the face cut, try to apply adequate pressure to keep the face flat to the table (or the router flat to the face if by hand). Bumps and variations are not your friend with a sliding joint. I really like them now that I've messed up enough to get the results pretty reliable when I do them.

Last edited: