Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0698 18 x 47 Lathe

Grizzly G0698 18 x 47 Lathe

Here I sit, waiting for the final deal on selling my gun as I deliberate over which lathe to buy. I am not concerned about liking it even though I havent turned anything yet. This will change before I buy a lathe.

This Grizzly really has my attention. I realy like the Jet 1642 which is a safe buy. However, the look and features of the Grizzly G0698 are intriguing. It can turn up to 18" dia (actually a little smaller since it wont start out round).

I know there are a lot of people who dont like Grizzly lathes, but this one seems quite different. It is similar to the Laguna and Busy Bee, but with improvements. It looks as robust as a Jet with a little bigger capacity. It is 2 hp and has true variable speed. Unless I missed it, the only thing I see different is the Grizzly does not have a spindle lock on the head stock. There are stops where the chuck goes into the head stock spindle.

Anyone have experience with this lathe yet or know of someone who has?
    Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Rich i've been following your posts on here and a couple other forums. The reason is i'm thinking about this same lathe. I have the grizzly go462 and for the money i think i have a good lathe. the main complate i have with this lathe is the same gripe most folks have with most asian lathes the handles. I know it's no big deal for most. (me included) I no that a couple folks here have the 16" go632 and really like them so maybe they'll be able to help ya out, as there basically the same lathe
    Steve

Rich I haven't chimed in because I don't know either lathe. One thing I will say is that turning 2" bigger is not a big deal. With my Nova I can turn 16" well 15 1/2". If I turn outboard I can turn up to 29". On the Jet if you slide the headstock to the end of the lathe you can turn however big you want. But the one thing I have found I still have every bowl sitting for sale that I turned in the last 3 yrs that are over 16". I have about a 10 or 12 that are 16 1/2" to 20". They just don't sell. The best selling bowls for me are from 10" to 14". I am not trying to talk you out of the grizzly as I do have a couple of grizzly tools that are pretty good tools for the money but I would not rule out the Jet for 2". Just some food for thought from a different perspective.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Wow! Sweet! I want one. Are they even selling them yet?

Other question: do you have 220 in your shop? Will your existing chucks, etc. fit this machine?

Looks pretty nice from here... I'll never be able to afford mustard, but that seems more reachable.

Thanks,

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Lantry; 01-20-2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: typo

Whoa!

That seems like a pretty sweet machine at that price! I agree with Bernie, the extra 2" shouldn't be the deciding factor. But all things considered, it certainly looks like an awesome deal. In fact, if I didn't already have a Nova 1622-44, I would absolutely consider getting that one. Of course, it doesn't have a track record yet, and that always freaks me out a little. But if you trust Grizzly to back up their product, then I think it's a go.

That said, you can't go wrong with a Jet 1642, even though it's more money.

Hutch

Just too much in Rich's post to cover in a few words.
    As for the 'Asian' comment. Please note, the Grizzly and Jet lathes come out of the same factory in Taiwan. http://www.geetech.com.tw/sp.html
    The new G0698 is not likely to have any experience comments on the forums yet as it has just been introduced. The specs indicate it is a bigger, more powerful lathe than the G0632 (which I have) and at a lower price. The on-line catalog calls this an "introductory" price, indicating it will rise later. Search around here and you will find considerable discussions on the Jet 1642 and Griz G0632. They are near identical tools.
    As for the 18" capability, that is important only if you want it. Most of us equate bigger with better. It is an individual matter.
    Let us know what you decide.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

For that big a lathe, I'm rather surprised they didn't go to 1-1/2"-8 spindle threads & MT#3 for the spindle taper. An eighteen-inch blank is a LOT of meat to swing, and 1-1/2"-8 is pretty common in larger lathes.

Not many of us actually have reasonable access to blanks that large, though... I daresay most turnings are 12" or smaller. There's not a lot of MARKET for larger bowls, either... most folks don't have places to PUT the huge ones. Coffee table? It won't go on a shelf (12" max standard) without serious overhang. Cat'll just get in it & knock all the coffee mugs down.
    -- Tim --

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hofstetter View Post
    For that big a lathe, I'm rather surprised they didn't go to 1-1/2"-8 spindle threads & MT#3 for the spindle taper. An eighteen-inch blank is a LOT of meat to swing, and 1-1/2"-8 is pretty common in larger lathes.

Not many of us actually have reasonable access to blanks that large, though... I daresay most turnings are 12" or smaller. There's not a lot of MARKET for larger bowls, either... most folks don't have places to PUT the huge ones. Coffee table? It won't go on a shelf (12" max standard) without serious overhang. Cat'll just get in it & knock all the coffee mugs down.
    The PowerMatic, Nova and lots of others have cut-outs and end-of-bed capabilites for large bowls. I believe platter turning is getting very popular. A friend even built a special lathe for platters up to 'Oh-My-Gosh!" in diameter. It is more machine for less money, I find that hard to criticize.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Oh, don't get me wrong - I think I'd love to have a lathe with that sorta' capacity, and I were to buy one that size I'd go with the Griz. I'm just surprised with the smallish spindle, and I doubt I'd use all that capacity very often. Even here in Vermont, I don't run across good blanks that size every day. It'd be different if I had a bunch of old-growth hardwoods on the property.
    -- Tim --

Tim
    It is hard to fathom, heavily forested, Vermont not having big trees. Dunno. Haven't seen the place since childhood.
    The Ozarks have quite a few big trees. I could easily find turning material 3 to 5 feet in diameter, much in nice Walnut. Even if I had a lathe that could swing stuff that big, I wouldn't be able to handle it.
    BTW, methinks an 18" piece of wood suitable for a platter would not overstress a 1 1/4" spindle. I'm not a mechanical engineer but my finger in the wind test says it would be OK.