RANT!!!!! Goverment rulings

larry merlau

well if this is wrong then delete it, but i think i can safly say this...

my wife went to get her drivers license renewed today and got turned down.. the Social securty number didnt match the name they had on file... so they asked her what it was she told them again still denied.. they said SHE had to go to the S.S office and get it fixed. so she was furious.. got home got her papers. the birth certificate stampoed by the state, the original S.S card with her name and Number on it. the marriage licence and a Passport which was done by the federal gov. loaded up and drove into the other town for the Sec. of State there to get her license.. same denial. and that we HAD to go to the S.S office and fix our number and name.. excuse me we have paid into the state and the feds for over 40 years and they had no trouble taking the funds. even sent the nice letter sayun when your to old to enjoy it here is what you should have to spend monthly.. well if the name the number doesnt match and she cant get her drivers license, what is to say the funds are there or if she ever paid in?? i can see it all now we come up to the counter and say i am mister or misses and here is my card number ..sorry we dont show you on the list.!!! oh i forgot the burden of proof is on us noit hem for messin up!!!! so beware if your S.S number and your licence name dont match you to get to go and prove who you have been for nearly 40 years.. ...not good day and the fire is still brewing in the house i am in the shop where i have some safty yet.

I dunno much about this sort of thing, but I can't help but wonder if your wife's Social Security number is being used by someone else. I understand the frustration, but I'd sure want to get it sorted out quickly.

yes, as i understood them we have to go the feds ..the Social securty divison and get it made right and we have not changed addresses or names in nearly forty years!!!! the only thing she would tell us was first NO then that the name and the number doesnt match.. if we had been remarried and not changed the name yup i can understand, but thats not the case and we havnt moved either and have been using this number for all the normal things. health insurance, banking, our wonderful taxes are gettin there share and not complaining.

OK this is gettin brighter byt he minute:( how do i find this out and then what can we do to stop it and regain what has been done if anything.. they dont act like they are gonna tell us what the name is that isnt right??? maybe the S>S will but the licences folks didnt get that access. is there a law enforcement that could check for me?

Go to the Social Security Office. They are very concerned about identity theft. I had a problem a number of years ago that began with someone stealing my Social Security number. They were exceedingly helpful to get it sorted out.

Larry,
I'll second/third or whatever number I'm at, go to the SS office and see the clerks.. they will help you straighten it out.... When I was born, my father gave me the name of his favorite uncle, which was Charley.... the doctor wrote my name on the birth certificate as Charles.... for the first 19 years of my life I was Charley, and my social security card reads the same.... I went into the Navy as Charles and my social security deductions were credited to that name for all of the 40 years I worked.... when I got ready to retire, we discovered the differenct... the clerk made the change right away and I never missed a payment from Uncle Sam.... go to the SS office and explain... take your paperwork with you..you may have someone using your wife's SS number ... maybe they had a really good job and have been paying into her account for a while....your SS pension will be based on the last 40 quarters of her work life.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but after 9/11 there were some laws passed to make the states do a better job of verifying identity. The problem might have existed all these years but it didn't matter. Now, it may matter.

I think it's called the "Secure Driver's License" program but I'm not sure. I remember reading about it but didn't pay a lot of attention.

[I found this.]

Mike

Personally, I think it's a bit of a crock that the Motor Vehicles folks care a whit about Social Security numbers at all... what're they gonna' do, withold tax from traffic ticket payments?

But then... I s'pose they're concerned with false IDs. One would think, though, that since this is a RENEWAL they'd be able to match SOMETHING up to the previous license.

THEN, unrealistic as it may be, it'd sure be nice if THEY took the steps to correct whatever problem was getting in the way, wouldn't it? I mean... to US, they just look like THEM - THE GOVERMENT, right?

Ahem. Cough. :)

Hey Larry

Sorry to hear the bad news.:( But as for your post as far as i am concerned you listened to enough others rant away here and put up with it so why should you not have a turn.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Maybe we should have a day called rant day. At my wifes office they call wednesdays hump day. When i first heard it i was concerned. Then she explained its the middle of the week and they over the hump so they celebrate with hump day coffee and a little chat among the staff and bosses.

We could pick a rant day and then all pile in with our rant of the week.

Hey get it off the chest is what its all about.:rofl::rofl:

Ok back to normal.

LARRY!!! you've been married to an imposter for all these years! I would also be very concerned that someone has stolen her SS# It is a common ploy of the illegal immigrants to forge SS#'s in order to get a job up here. I have even heard it that the government is in collusion on issuing false SS#'s knowing that they can collect the $ and the illegals won't collect a dime of it. Hope you get it solved. I would try at the SS office again with the suggesten that the number might have been stolen and then go to the press if you can't get any headway. Our local rag has a daily feature column where they go to bat for us poor taxpayers.

THEN, unrealistic as it may be, it'd sure be nice if THEY took the steps to correct whatever problem was getting in the way, wouldn't it? I mean... to US, they just look like THEM - THE GOVERMENT, right?

Ahem. Cough. :)
If the DMV clerk calls the Social Security office while you're standing there, all the people in line behind you at the DMV will be angry because it's going to take a while to straighten things out, if it's even possible to do so in that one phone call.

And if the clerk tries to do it later, s/he is going to be stuck in the middle, where the SS clerk asks for certain information which only you have. So the DMV clerk calls you to get the info then calls SS back, etc. That's really asking a lot of the DMV people.

Much better (and more reasonable) for you to call SS and provide them with the info needed.

Mike

Go to your SS office they will fix the problem right away. If the problem is with the state than good luck. State employees seem less interested in fixing problems than federal ones imho.
I recently had to go to the SS office and as soon as I found an English speaking clerk my problem was fixed quickly.

Just gotta ask, waaaaaayyyyyyy back when you and Randi got married, did she go to the SS office and change her name? I know of people that did not do that and many YEARS later the issue came up and had to correct it then. Just a thought. BUT I didn't have a problem renewing mine yesterday at the same sec of state LOL :) (duck, swirve :))

tom, yes she did, and we had the card showing her new name and the number on it.. also the passport needed it to be made... what happened to that info they had and used to prove she was a legal ailen..and today she goes to the SS office.. cant do it on the phone.. and mike is right they said it was there looking for back taxes and child support and back fines on tickets. and anything else .. but as bob mentioned i am sure the translator will probally be absent.

reminds me of a story....

I came downstairs this morning and saw my wife, drinking a cup of coffee. I told her
"everything in our home has been stolen and replaced with exact duplicates"

She looked at me and said

"who are you?"

Interesting all the talk this thread has generated. We are all a bit concerned about 'uncle' and all the alphabet agencies gettin' on us.
You are doing the right thing by staying on top of the situation until it is clarified. One thing you want to make sure is correct is your wife's work history for her eventual SS payments.
This reminds me of the time I (unknowingly) hired a girl with a faked SS card. She was using someone else's SS number. The IRS got on me something fierce, they even monitored my phone calls.