Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Propane heater in the shop

Propane heater in the shop

I have a two head Mr. Heater mounted on a 10 gallon tank. Last night it sputtered out - empty. $3 a gallon to refill.

I am trying to warm the double carport that I've tarped to keep the wind out. Works OK for a few hours a day.

Called the plumber to give me an estimate to run an extension off the house gas line. Propane is $1.50. Better.

Problem, or question. The Mr. Heater has a combo regulator on/off valve. The house propane is already regulated at the meter. Can I bypass that? Would I need to install an on/off valve between the hose and the heater? I plan to use an RV hose to give a little flexibility of movement. I planned to remount the Mr. Heater on an old sturdy light tripod, instead of the tank.

If this becomes a real hassle, then Plan B.

Next summer I plan to build a new shop building - if the county will let me. They can get a little weird around here, but that is another thread, someday, maybe. So maybe I'll get the furnace/heater now and rig it for the carport and move it later.

Where can I shop for shop heaters? Anybody got on-line resources?

i would consider a new heater and have it plumbed from the main tank. i had one in the old shop and they had to put a regulator on the shop wall where it went in..also at the house where it went in there.. alot of folks like the modine heaters or the hot dawgs i think they are called. they do have a online web page i dont have it but have been there..i am now using a furnace but there might be some used trailer furnaces around you for a reasonable cost
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Carol you plan sounds like BOOOOOOOOOM to me. I might even hear it.
    Get some thing like this http://www.heinleinsupply.com/mfg_modine.html and have it hooked up right.
    Around these parts you have to be licensed to play with gas.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

A regulator just controls the pressure. Having a second one shouldn't cause a problem and you heater might even use a lower pressure than your house has. I wouldn't remove the one from the heater unless I had a problem.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    A regulator just controls the pressure. Having a second one shouldn't cause a problem and you heater might even use a lower pressure than your house has. I wouldn't remove the one from the heater unless I had a problem.
    Yep. What Jeff said.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Hi Carol

An online all sorts company that i have even ordered from up here in Canada and had no issues with is

Northern Tool They have real stores as well and always have deals going on lots of heaters.

Best of luck with the heating.
    cheers

Carol, If and when you get around to the new shop you might consider lots of insulation. If you do it right you can save a lot in heating and cooling. I know some shops that are so well insulated that they can be heated with a hot water heater for not much energy. My shop has a fair amount of insulation and it stays cool for quite a few hours in the summer and stays around 50 degrees in the winter unless I turn the fan on the hot water radiator. I can then hold 60 degrees easy.

That tank you've been using was, surely, propane. That given, you won't need to change out your orifice(s) in the heater if/when you switch to the big tank. You really should keep the original regulator & just plumb it in line with the house's regulator. Under all but the most unusual conditions the heater's regulator will just run wide-open like a pipe... but it'll BE there.

You WILL NEED a shutoff valve AT the heater, where you can get to it if something happens. That one is full-up necessary, and if you skimp on it you're really beggin' for troubles someday. You'll also need a drop line next to the heater - that removes most of the crud that might have found its way into your heater's orifice & wrecked its ability to give you a clean (safe) burn.
    -- Tim --

Drop line? Please explain.

I will leave the original regulator/shut-off valve in line.

The plan is to have a valve plumbed into the carport, then attach an RV type rubber hose to the Mr. Heater valve/regulator.

I had a line plumbed to the deck and attached the B-B-Que via the hose and it works fine. I shut the gas off at the deck valve when I finished cooking.

I would shut off the carport valve when not heating as well.

Do NOT want to go BOOM!