Gender-Specific Driving Etiquette

Dan Mooney

A woman is driving at night on a narrow country road. At the same time, a man is driving in the opposite direction on that same road.

When they narrowly pass each other at high speed, the woman rolls down her window and loudly shouts - HORSE!

Immediately the man shouts back - WITCH!

The man laughs. is proud to have reacted so quickly to the shouting woman and takes the next turn in the road, maintaining his speed.

HorseCar.jpg

Moral of the story: Men never listen and, when they do, they don't understand one word a woman says.

Ouch! That looks like it might have been fatal for more than just the horse. A guy who used to work for my dad hit a horse broadside in a full-sized Chevy Blazer at highway speed. He had the presence of mind to lay down across the front seats, just as the horse removed the windshield and roof of the Blazer. A few years later I hit an 800 pound steer at highway speed, but I swerved right as I hit it and avoided having it join me in the passenger compartment. (I know it was 800 pounds, because that's what my insurance company was billed for.) :rolleyes:

Ouch! That looks like it might have been fatal for more than just the horse. A guy who used to work for my dad hit a horse broadside in a full-sized Chevy Blazer at highway speed. He had the presence of mind to lay down across the front seats, just as the horse removed the windshield and roof of the Blazer. A few years later I hit an 800 pound steer at highway speed, but I swerved right as I hit it and avoided having it join me in the passenger compartment. (I know it was 800 pounds, because that's what my insurance company was billed for.) :rolleyes:

When I was a kid in high school, we had an incident like this... a farmer was driving out of town on a local farm to market road... he hit two horses standing in the road.. one was standing with its head over the back of the other and the farmer hit that one in the rear and drove over both in his new Ford pickup ... totaled the truck, but didn't kill either horse... they had to be put down by the sheriff. This was in the late '50's and a smallish road, so the speeds weren't at the highway level we have today.

Another incident I remember, I was 6 or 7 and we came up on an accident in the dark... a guy driving a late '40's model vehicle hit a full grown boar hog.. it killed the driver of the vehicle, but the hog wasn't killed...or even all that badly injured.:dunno:

I had a friend that had a horse hit by a van. She had to pay for the van. Failure to properly contain live stock.

I had a friend that had a horse hit by a van. She had to pay for the van. Failure to properly contain live stock.

In my case the steer was on open range. That night I learned that when you see this sign on the highway, it means "you break it, you buy it". :doh:

W11-4.jpg

I have definitely learned to keep my speed reasonable and keep an eye out around here. My whole property , and the valley around it, is technically 'open range'...

While Nebraska is not the only state with a deer problem, I've been driving 38 miles each way to work for 27 years, and have always been on the watch for critters on the road. Back in the 1980's I t-boned a deer with a Dodge Colt :eek: and drove on to work 'cause I had slowed enough when I saw it to do minimal damage to the car, however, maximum damage to the deer :( We have loose cattle, dogs, pick a varmint.....but I swerve every time for a skunk:rofl: ,hit one once and lived with the smell for several days.:(