Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Long Old Friend...

So Long Old Friend...

When my wife and I moved into our house almost 6 years ago, the frig in the kitchen stuck out like a sore thumb. It was almond, we wanted white. The inside had wire shelves and some of them were rusty. When the compressor turned on, it made a terrible noise. The day after we moved in we had a new shiny white frig delivered and put the old one in the garage that would become my shop. The frig has housed many things, water, veggies, fruit, meat, etc. but its primary purpose was to keep beer cold. If we needed to use it for overflow from the kitchen fridge, we would take it to the "beer fridge".

I decorated it with my magnet collection, stickers, and a poster or two. I stacked an old 20" TV on it when I ran cable to the garage. The TV hasn't worked in over a year, but the beer fridge didn't mind. It has a layer of dust on it that would choke most shop vacs, but it didn't mind. I put a few dents in it when projectiles from the lathe hit it, but it didn't mind. Because of the freezing temps and snow this winter, I hadn't been out to the shop much since Thanksgiving. I hadn't opened the fridge in over two months. I thought the beer fridge wouldn't mind, but...

This past week, the beer fridge cooled its last beer. The light inside still worked, but nothing else...

Beer Fridge, you had a good run and you will be missed...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p_00229.jpg   p_00230.jpg   p_00231.jpg  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Gee now your gonna have to get your wife a new one for the house cause you still need a beer fridge in the shop/garage..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    When my wife and I moved into our house almost 6 years ago, the frig in the kitchen stuck out like a sore thumb. It was almond, we wanted white. The inside had wire shelves and some of them were rusty. When the compressor turned on, it made a terrible noise. The day after we moved in we had a new shiny white frig delivered and put the old one in the garage that would become my shop. The frig has housed many things, water, veggies, fruit, meat, etc. but its primary purpose was to keep beer cold. If we needed to use it for overflow from the kitchen fridge, we would take it to the "beer fridge".

I decorated it with my magnet collection, stickers, and a poster or two. I stacked an old 20" TV on it when I ran cable to the garage. The TV hasn't worked in over a year, but the beer fridge didn't mind. It has a layer of dust on it that would choke most shop vacs, but it didn't mind. I put a few dents in it when projectiles from the lathe hit it, but it didn't mind. Because of the freezing temps and snow this winter, I hadn't been out to the shop much since Thanksgiving. I hadn't opened the fridge in over two months. I thought the beer fridge wouldn't mind, but...

This past week, the beer fridge cooled its last beer. The light inside still worked, but nothing else...

Beer Fridge, you had a good run and you will be missed...
    That's a great thing...'cuz now you have a fridge to make a kiln..
    I was just looking at the Winter 2010 Issue #24 of the Woodturning Design magazine and there's an article about making a making a Green Bowl Drying Kiln from an old freezer or 'fridge by Ted Rudie... see pages 13-15... just was wishing I had an old freezer or fridge to make one myself.

We'll need photos of the finished kiln..

Oh BTW, I was going to mention that I had one of those myself... my first wife and I bought a new house in Foster City, CA and when we moved into it, all the appliances there were dark brown... our fridge was white, so the MIL paid to have it painted as a house warming gift... years later after we divorced, I still had that fridge... the fan in the freezer box would squeal in the middle of the night... make your hair curly or stand on end.... got into the habit of opening the freezer, rapping the back side of the wall with my fist and the fan would stop squealing... it was still working when we moved to Tucson in '94, but we left it behind.
    Last edited by Chuck Ellis; 01-21-2010 at 05:03 PM.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Don, I don't need a fridge out there now...the beer stays cold on its own!

Chuck, I thought about a kiln, but the space I gain by taking it to the dump won out...more on that soon! (yes, more shop reorganization!)
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Such a sad story, Brought a tear to my eye....

But rest assured somewhere there is a field full of old beer fridges, cooling down their owners favorite beverages just across the amber bridge...

Someday perhaps the two of you will be reunited, and able to share a frosty cold one once again...

Or, just check Craigs list and get a new one. People are getting rid of fridges all the time...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    and you will be missed...
    Bet your electric bill will thank you!
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Bet your electric bill will thank you!
    That was very much part of not replacing it!
    My Website

Chuck, I've got one in the garage that is free for the taking. I'll even help load it! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

When we move to our own place I'll need a non working freezer which I'll heat with a light bulb to store glue & paint & stains in during cold weather. Unless you have suggestions???
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

A moment of silence for Beer Fridge.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com