After Market Miter Gauge?

Warren White

I am interested in your recommendations for and against the various after market miter gauges for table saws. I went to my local woodworking store and the person wasn't much help.

If you have thoughts on such makers as Osbourne, Kreg, Incra, etc., please let me know. I have a Smart Miter sled which i like, but I think I am looking for a bit more.

I search the archives but couldn't find a review.

Thank you for your help!
Warren

You'll hear some good things here about the Incra. The responses I got some time ago lead me to get one. Having just gotten it, and not having had time to put it through its paces, I can't give a review - but I know others here will. I do know that its way better than the Rockler it replaced.

Many quality gauges to choose from. Make sure you are setting your expectations correctly when considering what a miter gauge will and won't do. For 45* and 90* I grab a sled before my gauge almost every time. The gauge is great for highly accurate work on smaller/lighter pieces.

I opted for a simple Incra V-27 and added one of their fences. If I did it again I would save the money for the fence as I use a sacrificial fence more often than not. A piece of ply with a slot cut across the back and some sandpaper stuck to the face does very well.

After using one on the table saw for years I picked one up for the router table when they were on sale awhile back. The custom fit for the miter slot is a big plus and I wanted one setup for each tool.

i agree with glenn ,, the sled will do more for you than a mitre guage for most applications.. actually your smartmitre you now have is very good at what it does and you could just make your slef a larger sled for alot less than a high dollar guage:thumb:

I got the Incra 5000 Miter Guage/Sled and telescoping fence. Very easy to use and adjust. The only problem is that is overkill when cutting smaller items like pen blanks, but I liked the guage part so much that I got the Incra 1000SE and use it all the time for the small stuff.

As you all know, I don't do "FLAT", but I do own the Incra 5000, too.

When I need it to be right, I put the Big Dog on the TS and go for it.

Hasn't failed me yet, and ask Larry, I am a dummy at flat stuff.

Bruce

I'm wondering what a nice miter guage would do that your Jointech Smart Miter won't? If I want something accurate, I pull out my Smart Miter. If I'm doing some rough cuts, I use the factory guage supplied with my TS. It works fine for rough framing. I do have a 2' piece of straight 2 X 4 mounted to it to give me some extra control. Jim.

I have the Incra 1000SE and like it a lot. It's accurate and simple to use.

I'll echo that. I've added a baltic birch plywood sacrificial fence to mine, but it's never let me down, and been dead on since I got it. I use it much more than any of my sleds, since it's less hassle to use (for me).

I also have a Jointech Smart Miter, and the Incra 1000SE wins hands down for both accuracy and ease of use, IMHO. The positive stops on the Jointech are not nearly as "positive" as those on the Incra. I like the Jointech for cutting larger lengths that can benefit from the sled, but for 99% of my crosscuts, the Incra fits the bill perfectly.

I'll echo that. I've added a baltic birch plywood sacrificial fence to mine, but it's never let me down, and been dead on since I got it. I use it much more than any of my sleds, since it's less hassle to use (for me).

I also have a Jointech Smart Miter, and the Incra 1000SE wins hands down for both accuracy and ease of use, IMHO. The positive stops on the Jointech are not nearly as "positive" as those on the Incra. I like the Jointech for cutting larger lengths that can benefit from the sled, but for 99% of my crosscuts, the Incra fits the bill perfectly.

What I want to know is how you use it on the lathe.:rofl::rofl:I searched all over and can't find a mite slot on mine.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have both the Incra V27 and the JessEm Mite R Slide and they are both very good.

I have other items from Inra and they, too, are all well designed, well made, and accurate.

I am not so sure about Jessem. Mine was made in Canada, and I have heard some reports that, since their move to the USA a couple of years ago, their made in USA stuff is not up to the same quality standards. But, this might just be sour grrapes from fellow Canadians. Recently I heard rumours that some of thier stuff is now made in China. All in all, I would now be nervous about purchasing Jessem products. It might not stop me, but I would do a lot of research first.

I have the Incra 1000SE and its been very reliable for me. I don't use the measuring tape on the edge because I never take the time to calibrate it and I use an add-on MDF sacrificial fence to get a zero clearance cut on the blade so I just mark my work and set it off the kerf in the fence.

I have the Incra 1000SE and its been very reliable for me. I don't use the measuring tape on the edge because I never take the time to calibrate it and I use an add-on MDF sacrificial fence to get a zero clearance cut on the blade so I just mark my work and set it off the kerf in the fence.

I'll echo this almost verbatim. Except, I use a piece of hickory for the sac fence. :)

another vote for an incra 1000se. i started out with the v-27 but wanted more, so after a month or so of looking over reviews i decided that the 1000se was the best bang for my buck . that was 2 years ago and i have never come close to being dissappointed with it in that time. it does everything i have asked of it .
HTH

p.s. if you watch rockler and heartland tool close enough you will find the 1000se on sale for 99 bucks :0) heck i paid almost 70 for my v-27:rolleyes:

I've got the Osborne and love it. Simple, strong and accurate.

I also like the triangular support. Really supports the aluminum fence for long heavy materials.

Last edited:
another vote for an incra 1000se. i started out with the v-27 but wanted more,

Jim makes a good point. If you think you will regularly use angles other than the 5* and 22.5* positive stops on the V-27, I would just go to a more granular model right off the bat to save having to buy "again". I think we have all had this experience on one tool or another and it just costs more in the long run ;).

I appreciate....

....each and every comment so far! You have really helped me (and I hope others) out.

I thought I would respond to a couple of things. First, the reason I am considering upgrading from my Jointech sled is that, as mentioned by VAughn, I don't find the stops as definite as I would like. There is some slop in the detents. The other thing is that it is a sled, and that puts a limit as to the height of the cut I can make (saw blade diameter minus the thickness of the sled).

Many of you have recommended the Incra. I looked at one at the woodworking store and was a bit (notice I say "a bit") concerned about the possible fragile nature of all that 'stuff' hanging off the back of the gauge. Your comments on that? I notice there isn't any material on the bar to keep the material from moving as you make the cut. How do you handle that? I assume that if you use the stops that eliminates creep, but is that all there is? How do you handle moving the tape when you reposition the bar? Lastly, any of you ever whack this beauty with your saw blade?

Only one comment or so on the Osborne. I have to admit that was where I was leaning. Any other Osborne thoughts out there?

Again, thank you so very much. All of your comments will make my decision the best it could be.

Warren