Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any way to get paid securely from europe?

Any way to get paid securely from europe?

I have some rather rare and very high end woofers that a fellow in Europe has expressed a desire to purchase. However, I'm not sure of how I can get paid without any risk - Western Union is prone to fraud and PayPal is, if anything, even worse. Is there a way I can get my money with zero risk of "take-backs" or fraud?

From what I understand from selling stuff on Craigs List the answer is simply NO.
    Read their disclaimer. Western Union is called a fraud among several others.
    Personally I would never sell except for ebay from a trusted buyer or cash only.
    I've had several responses from my vintage corvette for sale ad and all have have been some sort of scam. So far anyway.
    Last edited by Bob Gibson; 01-22-2010 at 10:49 PM.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

If your buyer is willing to do it, tell them to get some American dollars (they can do that at any currency exchange place), put them in an envelope and send them to you via some form of certified mail.

If I was the buyer, I wouldn't be willing to do that but you can ask.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Yes there is. Use an Escrow Service. I used one on some camera equiptment I sold overseas. I don't remember who so I can't give you a recommendation though.

Basically it works like this Buyer pays Escrow Inc for the product. Escrow notifies you they have your money and you ship. Escrow gets the shipping info and tracks the shipment. Buyer gets the speakers and has 3-4 days to respond to the Escrow company and tell them he is happy with the product. If after 3-4 days he doesn't respond and the shipping is verified he received them they pay you.

If buyer is not happy he must return the product to you withing some specified time period. When you notify Escrow Inc you have received the speakers back then they pay him back his money.

All in all it worked very well for me. I paid the fee and it wasn't much, but it was well worth it to not get cheated!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post

If buyer is not happy he must return the product to you withing some specified time period. When you notify Escrow Inc you have received the speakers back then they pay him back his money.
    Now THIS sounds like a solution. I figure I'll give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    Yes there is. Use an Escrow Service.
    This is how we often ship internationally overseas as well. Best way to protect both the buyer and seller. If the buyer gives any sort of weasel action, I'd recommend moving away from any sort of transaction with that person.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Warfield View Post
    This is how we often ship internationally overseas as well. Best way to protect both the buyer and seller. If the buyer gives any sort of weasel action, I'd recommend moving away from any sort of transaction with that person.
    Which one do you use?

You could also have your buyer do a wire transfer... after you receive the money in your account, then you ship.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Shaul View Post
    Which one do you use?
    Well, honestly the lawyer takes care of setting up those particulars so I don't know. I believe we use a few depending on the continent but that's about the extent of my knowledge. I'd look at the length of time the escrow company has been in business. Fraudulent escrow companies tend to not be around very long. Yes, there are quite a few from what I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    You could also have your buyer do a wire transfer... after you receive the money in your account, then you ship.
    Don't ever do a wire transfer. In fact, don't ever give your account number to ANYBODY unless you're really really familiar with them and trust them personally.
    -- Tim --