First time with the Freud SD208 Dado

Hello,

My first post, looking to expand my woodworking vocabulary from the
community.I'm using a craftsman 10 inch table saw w 5/8 arbor.I have a couple of projects going on and I need to make some box joints, so I just
purchased the Freud SD 208.Uptil now my only experience has been with
a wobbly dado.

A couple of questions about the SD208- My set came with left/right
outside blades,3) chippers, 3) 1/16 spacers,8) shims.

My basic question, after reading the setup instructions, I'm still not
sure how to position the chippers when stacking together.From the
instructions it is kind of vague.Is it just a matter as long as the teeth
of the chippers and the outside blades are not aligned?Something like
this, a picture of one stacked would really make a difference.

Stacking two of the chippers and looking at it together there's something that doesn't look right about it.

Thanks in advance

First of all Tom, welcome to the Family. Here is 2 pictures of mine,Dado 1.jpg

Dado 2.jpg your gonna love that set, especialy after using a woobler, those things are scary.
Theres a thread in the off topic area where you can post an introduction of yourself if youd like and one thing we realy like is pictures of you shop and your work. HTH

As long as the outside plates are in the right position, chipper orientation is subjective BUT the teeth must not touch. So my short answer is; it doesn't matter as long as you don't have carbide-to-carbide going on. If I were running two of your chippers I would tend to orient them like a plus sign and then assure that they do not contact the outer plate teeth as I tighten the nut.

I have the SD508 so I have twice the chipper teeth to watch out for. I can usually just be careful but at times, with a lot of chippers on the shaft, I will stick a piece of thin scrap in here and there before I tighten so things don't shift on me. I do not use the outer washer when using the dado.

As long as the teeth are all facing the front, and the teeth of the inside chippers don't hit the teeth of the outside chippers, it should work fine.

BoxJointJig2.jpg

endofyear-4.jpg

NorthwoodDadoSet8.jpg