Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So my buddy Larry....Proof has been added

So my buddy Larry....Proof has been added

Well as ya'll know Larry's road trip last year went by here. He asked for he left home If there was anything he could bring me. I said nothing but he insisted. So I says Larry walnut grows wild out there in your parts right. He says yup why? I says then go out and cut me a sapling off the fence row. How big Larry asks and what fur? I said well Larry I want me a walnut walking stick bout 6' tall and around 1 3/4" on the top. So a week goes by and low n behold here comes Larry down the drive. Well it was late when he got here so we sat and shot the breeze for a spell then off to bed. The next day Larry digs out this log he calls a stick. It was 3 inches on the big end and weight bout 20 lbs.
    I thanked him for it and sent it in the shop to be dealt with on another day. Well today was the day, I grabbed this log and said bad words about my buddy Larry, put it in my vice and started after it with my draw knife. Every once and a while there would be more bad words mixed in with Larry's name. Now I have been after this log for about an hour and finely get all the bark and then the white off of the good chocolate. Well this walking stick now is 2" on the top just what the doctor ordered.
    So long story short my buddy Larry done me just right. Thanks Larry
    And I take back the bad words
    Around here if one is after a walking stick bout 1 3/4" on the top they cut one down that size. I never even thought about the sap wood being white and having to get that off to get to the brown.
    Good thing Larry did
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 01-26-2010 at 04:34 PM.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Need some pictures!!!

When I go camping (Backpacking) I either take a stick, or find a downed one on the way. My code is that I will work on it with my pocket knife out camping, and leave it at the trail head for someone else to enjoy later...

That being said, I do have a couple of hiking staffs that I use and abuse around the place, so...

PICTURES!!!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Need some pictures!!!

When I go camping (Backpacking) I either take a stick, or find a downed one on the way. My code is that I will work on it with my pocket knife out camping, and leave it at the trail head for someone else to enjoy later...

That being said, I do have a couple of hiking staffs that I use and abuse around the place, so...

PICTURES!!!
    Not until it's done
    Stupid hurts.

Good on both of you! He does think things through from time to time doesn't he! Look forward to seeing the "stick".
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Hold your horses Jay. I'm still deciding on rather my arms and shoulders hurt, from running that draw knife.
    That and it needs to dry some more.
    Stupid hurts.

Interesting post Chuck.

Are you going to bend one of the ends and make some carved decoration or is it a secret?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

No bending the end Toni. I have no need to catch sheep.
    Stupid hurts.

well i hope you saved the crooks,, i picked that out fer yu that way so it would rezemble your personalyty
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

But this whole story remains just that a story cause we aint seen no proof. Did not see a stick in the truck when he stopped here and aint seen one arriving at your place Chuck so ya gotta give us some evidence that the stick/tree trunk or whatever actually exisits even before ya go and carve it. And dont be showing us your drawknife that aint proof of the woods existence.

On the subject of walking sticks hey i got given a great stick by friends of mine for a bday while back. Seems they felt sorry for me no seeing no moose in Canada. So they gave me one with a carved moosehead on the top.

Now unlike Chuck i have evidence

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moose head.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	41687Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moosehead 2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	41688

So go on Chuck prove your statements.

Besides how can we take a Pirate on his word alone. Aint never done that before.
    cheers