So my buddy Larry....Proof has been added

Chuck Thoits

Well as ya'll know Larry's road trip last year went by here. He asked for he left home If there was anything he could bring me. I said nothing but he insisted. So I says Larry walnut grows wild out there in your parts right. He says yup why? I says then go out and cut me a sapling off the fence row. How big Larry asks and what fur? I said well Larry I want me a walnut walking stick bout 6' tall and around 1 3/4" on the top. So a week goes by and low n behold here comes Larry down the drive. Well it was late when he got here so we sat and shot the breeze for a spell then off to bed. The next day Larry digs out this log he calls a stick. It was 3 inches on the big end and weight bout 20 lbs.:rofl:
I thanked him for it and sent it in the shop to be dealt with on another day. Well today was the day, I grabbed this log and said bad words about my buddy Larry, put it in my vice and started after it with my draw knife. Every once and a while there would be more bad words mixed in with Larry's name. Now I have been after this log for about an hour and finely get all the bark and then the white off of the good chocolate. Well this walking stick now is 2" on the top just what the doctor ordered. :thumb::thumb:
So long story short my buddy Larry done me just right. Thanks Larry
And I take back the bad words:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Around here if one is after a walking stick bout 1 3/4" on the top they cut one down that size. I never even thought about the sap wood being white and having to get that off to get to the brown.:thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl:
Good thing Larry did:thumb:

Last edited:
Need some pictures!!!

When I go camping (Backpacking) I either take a stick, or find a downed one on the way. My code is that I will work on it with my pocket knife out camping, and leave it at the trail head for someone else to enjoy later...

That being said, I do have a couple of hiking staffs that I use and abuse around the place, so...

PICTURES!!!

Need some pictures!!!

When I go camping (Backpacking) I either take a stick, or find a downed one on the way. My code is that I will work on it with my pocket knife out camping, and leave it at the trail head for someone else to enjoy later...

That being said, I do have a couple of hiking staffs that I use and abuse around the place, so...

PICTURES!!!

Not until it's done:thumb:

Hold your horses Jay. I'm still deciding on rather my arms and shoulders hurt, from running that draw knife.:thumb::rofl::rofl:
That and it needs to dry some more.:thumb:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: But this whole story remains just that a story cause we aint seen no proof. Did not see a stick in the truck when he stopped here and aint seen one arriving at your place Chuck so ya gotta give us some evidence that the stick/tree trunk or whatever actually exisits even before ya go and carve it. And dont be showing us your drawknife that aint proof of the woods existence. :D;)

On the subject of walking sticks hey i got given a great stick by friends of mine for a bday while back. Seems they felt sorry for me no seeing no moose in Canada. So they gave me one with a carved moosehead on the top.

Now unlike Chuck i have evidence

Moose head.jpgMoosehead 2.jpg

So go on Chuck prove your statements.;):wave:

Besides how can we take a Pirate on his word alone. Aint never done that before.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

well to protect the pirates pride, i found what he has forgotten and rob must have been blinded by the excitement earlier:)

View attachment 41693

Well I'll be there is the trees now:thumb:
Leaned up right beside the door to my shop.:thumb:
The big one on the right is the one that got the nod yesterday. It's been sanded with 80 now and will be set aside until time permits for more work. There will prolly not be any carving done on it. That is unless it ends up on the tout and Toni carves it while he's ridding around the country side.

Last edited:
What we have two pirates telling us these sticks of wood are them that are being carved when we have no proof that said wood is leaning up against one pirates shop apart from the pirates collaborating on the fact that it is.

I dont see this as evidence when a piece of what looks like firewood is leaning up against the wall of a building we dont even know who it belongs to and for we know it could be waiting to be put into the woodstove.:D:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Those sticks remind me of the old English Poem

"There was a crooked man, and he walked a crooked mile.
He found a crooked sixpence against a crooked stile.
He bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse,
And they all lived together in a little crooked house.

Only thing here is who is crooked.:rofl::rofl::wave:

What we have two pirates telling us these sticks of wood are them that are being carved when we have no proof that said wood is leaning up against one pirates shop apart from the pirates collaborating on the fact that it is.

I dont see this as evidence when a piece of what looks like firewood is leaning up against the wall of a building we dont even know who it belongs to and for we know it could be waiting to be put into the woodstove.:D:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Those sticks remind me of the old English Poem

"There was a crooked man, and he walked a crooked mile.
He found a crooked sixpence against a crooked stile.
He bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse,
And they all lived together in a little crooked house.

Only thing here is who is crooked.:rofl::rofl::wave:
Rob here's my proof that i have one.:D I made this about 31 years ago. don't no what kind of wood. it had a vine growing around it and i thought it looked cool.

Attachments

• 004 [800x600].JPG
    004 [800x600].JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 37

well rob i went back got the rest of the proof!!!!1
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13827&highlight=tour+wood&page=3 look at post 127

So I had a bit of time to putter. So I went out and sanded said stick to 1500 and put a coat of wipe on polly. Now it will set for a few weeks just to make sur it is done drying. Once I get back to it I will cut the checking off each end and sand them. Then put another coat of wipe on and call it done.:thumb:
Batteries are dead in the camera so proof will have to wait till tomorrow Rob.:thumb::rofl::rofl: