cracked grinding wheel

Frank Fusco

I have one of those wet wheel sharpening grinders that has been on the market for many years. Delta sells them, Grizzly does and many others, mine is a Griz. I have had this for about 15 years. Yesterday, I noticed that the large, white, fine, 2"X10" wet wheel is cracked. I don't know how this might have happened as it is not subject to stress or impact. :dunno: But, it's cracked. Wondering if I should just keep using as is or would it be feasible to drizzle CA into the crack? :huh:

Frank, after seeing a few “exploding wheel” videos during my tenure as a machinist, I would replace it immediately. Granted, it isn’t spinning as fast as a regular grinding wheel but if & when it does come apart, it isn’t going to simply fall off the arbor, it’s going to go flying. Don’t take that risk.

if you only use the side of it and it turns slow, just band the outside of it witha a Stainless steel band if can find it. Like they do mill stones.

Worked in machine shop, one did explode.........

not worth the risk, unless you got a extra glass eye in your pocket, that you wont be able to get to with no fingers.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I had the Delta version I got at Lowes. Thought it was a great deal since I only paid about $15 for it on clearance. The wheel cracked in less than a year. I couldn't figure out how to replace the wheel nor find any replacement wheels, so I threw it out!

By the way Frank, I agree. These turn so slow, I don't think there is any hazard of flying schrapnel.

When you finally replace this (that seems to be the consensus) please let me know where you got the new one. Mine has been out of round and useless since the day I bought it - on clearance and non-returnable. Should have known. :doh:

When you finally replace this (that seems to be the consensus) please let me know where you got the new one. Mine has been out of round and useless since the day I bought it - on clearance and non-returnable. Should have known. :doh:
If your slow speed wheel is what I think it is, you can true it with a diamond tool made for truing high speed wheels.

Mike

If your slow speed wheel is what I think it is, you can true it with a diamond tool made for truing high speed wheels.

Mike
I tried, but with no success. I think the out of round is complicated by a too large shaft hole that allows the stone to shift. (Mine is the version where the slow speed stone is vertical) I'm no expert on this kind of thing so I was thinking that for under $20 it would just be easier to replace it.

Hi Frank, while this may seem excessive, it may just be that by dismounting the stone and causing it to break the rest of the way across, you can epoxy it back together. This works on regular waterstones. You would need to allow the stone to dry very thoroughly before applying the epoxy.

Take care, Mike