A Basic Tenoning Jig WIP

Stuart Ablett

I know there are better ones out there, but I'm needing one for the Genkan bench, and I just thought I'd whip up a simple one......

tenoning_jig1.jpg tenoning_jig2.jpg tenoning_jig3.jpg tenoning_jig4.jpg

Like I said, really basic, but it should work.

I have to put a stop block on it to hold the work piece upright and mount the clamp, as well as glue and screw it all together, but I'm rather pleased with it so far, the SawStop sure cuts nice and straight, making jigs is a lot easier when you can do that!

Cheers!

Looks like a winner to me Stu! :thumb: Nothing more satisfying than knowing that you were able to accomplish the task at hand and save a few dollars also. Slap a piano hinge along the bottom along with another piece of 3/4" plywood and use a piece of 1/4" on one end with a slot cut for adjustment and jou can start doing angled tenons also.:D

I got the jig done and I put it to good use :thumb:

m&t_jig_1.jpg m&t_jig_2.jpg m&t_jig_3.jpg
Really, it is a very simple jig to build,and I'm getting decent results from it.

After I cut the tenon on the jig, I then trimmed the shoulders just using the fence and the mitre guide.
m&t_cut_shoulders1.jpg

I also cut the other part (dunno what you call it) so it sets the height of the tenon.....
m&t_cut_shoulders2.jpg
... if that makes sense.

I trimmed that bit off with the bandsaw and stop block.....
m&t_cut_shoulders3.jpg

Now all it needs is a little trimming with a sharp chisel and or shoulder plane to fit the mortise.....
m&t_cut_shoulders4.jpg
..... maybe that is mistake, I dunno, but it seems to work out so far, time will tell, as I make up a few of these.

Since I now had tenons cut, I decided to make some mortises.

I laid them out and then using my drill press, I drilled out much of the waste, and then set at it with some sharp chisels.

1st_m&t_done.jpg 1st_m&t_done2.jpg 1st_m&t_done3.jpg
That is the first one I've done on this project.

I think it looks OK, but I am concerned that the wood and the tenons are too short and it will not be strong enough, I guess time will tell :dunno:

I next moved on to making that mortise and tenon joint into a corner joint, this would be one of the four top corners of the Genkan bench......
corner_m&t_1.jpg corner_m&t_2.jpg corner_m&t_3.jpg
..... again, I worry that it will not be strong enough, maybe I should choose a different joint :huh:

I also have to put a groove into the inside of each pice for the panels, I am concerned the the wood is too thin for this, and the whole bench will not last.

I guess this will be part of the learning process :doh:

Cheers!

I'll leave the tenon length question to others who know more about 'em than I do, but I wanted to comment on your block plane. Either I haven't been paying attention, or that's a new acquisition. Did you get it when you got the shoulder plane? I've got one of those on my "someday" list. I really like the looks of them, and from what I've read they're sweet to use.

Stu I love what youre doing cause its so practicle. On strength of joint my concern would be relying on the shoulder which is end grain to make a good connection to the face of the leg which is not end grain.

Dont you think the tennons could have been a bit thicker. My feeling is the ratio of tennon to mortise is a little too even as opposed to the tennon being fatter. But i aint got no right to comment since i aint no expert on these matters. Will be keen to see others chime in here.

I am so used to overkill that fine woodworking seems too delicate to me now.:rofl: It makes me appreciate the guys whose work is designed with thin legs and fine details yet is strong enough for everyday use.

Keep going there aint no turning back now.:thumb::D

I've got one just like that and it works great and cheap is hard to beat.

I have been watching the first episodes of Norm on NYW and he was just standing the board on end and against the fence and free hand pushing it thru the saw :eek: Didn't look very safe to me.....but that was Norm in the beginning, before Delta and PC started sponsering.