Thread: A Little Heat

A Little Heat

I guess I'll put this here, it is not really a new "tool" or such, but it makes Dungeon life a little better.

I know it does not really get cold here in Tokyo, hey, I'm from the Great White North you know, but it does get a bit chilly. The coldest I've seen it down in the Dungeon is about 10C or 50F yeah, not cold, but if I'm doing something that I'm not moving around, like sharpening chisels, or such, well, I must be getting old or something, but I feel a chill.

I found a decent "Carbon" heater (something like an infrared heater) on sale here for about $30, it puts out 900 watts of heat

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ir_heater1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	41694 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ir_heater2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	41695
    I put it up there on some stuff, but it was not pointing to where I stand and sharpen stuff, so I had to do something different with it, I remembered seeing one that Lee Valley offered........

Name:	27k0840s3.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	41697
    ....... and I had an idea.....

Name:	ir_heater3.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	41696
    ...... I had to modify it, take out the "Tip Over" switch, remove the base and such, but all in all, this is an nice addition to the Dungeon. I will certainly not heat the whole place, but I don't need that, kind of task heating, like a task light.

Heck, soon I'll be turning on the AC, as winter will be over

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Nice one Stu. I agree with you. Sometimes 10C feels colder than -15C to me. Dont know what it is, probably got to do with what we wear when we know it aint really freezing versus what we wear when we know we wont survive if it is.

Good deal for $30.

Just one thought that came to my mind not being able to see the elements.

In the original config the heat would have risen vertically off the elements. Withe elements now mounted horizontally the lower one will be heating the upper one. Are they capable of taking that mutual heat. You mentioned "carbon" element which i dont know hence my thought provoking question just for safety sake. Would not want you having something go wrong there. Sure looks fine based on the LV config.

Cheers
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Just one thought that came to my mind not being able to see the elements.

In the original config the heat would have risen vertically off the elements. Withe elements now mounted horizontally the lower one will be heating the upper one. Are they capable of taking that mutual heat. You mentioned "carbon" element which i dont know hence my thought provoking question just for safety sake. Would not want you having something go wrong there. Sure looks fine based on the LV config.

Cheers
    I think it will be just fine, they had a very similar heater, with three elements but horizontal like, made by the same company, using the same elements, just a bit shorter, I have two, so each is 450w, the horizontal one has three, each 300w.

The carbon element looks like a fairly thick string, coiled up inside a glass tube, the string looks burnt, and glows red when the power is turned on

Seems to work

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    LLooks like it'll get the job done. Not to hijack your thread but yesterday must have been the day for heater. I went to the orange borg and picked up this little unit. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heater.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	41723 1500 watts max. occilating or stationary. I wanted one with a fan built in, i had several of the radiant type in the past and didn't feel they got the job done. $29.95.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Man Stu, you must have a mini nuke plant down there.
    You must use more power than then Las Vegas
    Faith, Hope & Charity