Help needed with corner space in shop

Rob Keeble

Hi All :wave:

I need some help, right now i am struck with a dose of tunnel vision or should i call it boxed in with box vision.:rofl::D

See the picture
Plan view of corner space issue.JPG

I have my lathe bench against a wall as i enter the shop and there is space left over in thecorner. Next to it along the other wall i have my router table.

What do i do to use the corner space which right now is empty. Any suggestions. Either way i see myself loosing this amount of space even if i open up he gap between the router table and the lathe bench.

Out of the box ideas would be welcome. please.

put drawers i there with counter space above for the grinder which is used for sharpening tools. and the drawers under it can be for the chucks and accessiores... corners are never forgiving rob.. i learned that the hard way my self. still got some that arent right.

It seems a little awkward to access that space several times a day. What about a shorts/turning wood rack from floor or bench top to ceiling? If you use a plywood or pegboard side for the rack it could also double as hanging storage on the side by the lathe bench or router table depending on how you arrange it.

Cyclone in one corner, 1HP bagger DC in one, storage cabinet in one and water heater in the last. Can the lathe slide over a bit to allow the rolling cabinet completely in there just to open up space for moving about?

My first thought, at least for the top space, would be a place to store your turning tools. Either in the open on hangers, or in a cabinet that you could open up and have them on the wall in the cabinet, and on the door. U shaped hangers with a lip on the outside edge so they couldn't accidentally fall off. Shelves below for some turning blanks is a good idea.
Or, you could hang your longer clamps there...I would think long ones would be the ones less often used. Jim.

Turn the lathe 90°, and but the headstock end into the corner.

Put the router table just to the left of where the lathe is now.

You'll have working space in front of both of them.

As an alternative, just get rid of the lathe. They're grossly over-rated as woodworking tools anyway...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What corner :dunno::dunno: I don't see no corner:huh:
I don't think this corner even exists :rolleyes::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Did any one see any thing but a drawing proving this corner was real?:dunno::rofl::rofl::rofl:

If I am interpreting you correctly Chuck, "no picture, corner don't exist!" :dunno:
That is the rule he has been putting you through lately isn't it? :huh:
Man he has found an inventive way to brag about having to much space in his shop hasn't he?!:doh:
I think he is making that NN stand in the corner so that is why it is available space!:thumb::thumb:
Next thing he will post his that NN standing in the corner!!:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Two options for corners, Option one is to leave it intact so you can fill itwith "stuff" stacking against the corner, the corner provides stability for tall objects, scrap boards, long pipe clamps and other such bother to build up creating a dust storage area.

Option two is to provide additional horizonal surface for piling smaller things and adding additional places to loose things and of course additional storage of dust and clutter.

Corners are to be reserved for clutter, and dust storage.:thumb:

Hope this has been helpful.....

Turn the lathe 90°, and but the headstock end into the corner.

Put the router table just to the left of where the lathe is now.

You'll have working space in front of both of them.

As an alternative, just get rid of the lathe. They're grossly over-rated as woodworking tools anyway...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jim i think you have a good idea and solution there. I will explore it and see what it costs me in good wall space on the router table side wall.

There was a corner unit in shopnotes like Jim's suggestion. You could mount small bench tools on the top and rotate it around to what you need to use.

It looks like this http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=4a6ab3b8696b41495011d83f2e9aca1b&prevstart=0

Patrick that could also be just what the doctor ordered cause at some point i have in mind to add certain tools that would be well suited to a carousel of sorts and would not be frequently used.

Thanks all for the suggestions I can tell we all have had and share similar experiences.

Ken DC is already in another corner. Rennie the lazy Susan has merits especially in the way the design that Patrick has listed.