Wavy Ash NE Bowl in Progress

Wow! That's a dandy! Glad to see your getting your money's worth out of "big Mustard". Did you have any problems with the bark? My experience is that the bark tends to get loose on dry wood and I can't keep it intact, looks like you did though:thumb:

Gotta love it!

That's a really awesome form, V! Can't wait to see the final finish!!!

BTW, I have been trying a few more NE bowls lately. Do you ever twice turn the big ones like this?

Hutch

...Did you have any problems with the bark? My experience is that the bark tends to get loose on dry wood and I can't keep it intact, looks like you did though:thumb:

When I started this one I figured I'd lose a bunch of bark, and was planning to knock the rest off and just use the bare natural edge. As it turned out, there were only a couple or three pieces missing, and I was able to fabricate decent replacements for them last night. I also used a wood burner with a knife blade tip on it to blend in the repair work. I think once it's all finished the repairs will be fairly hard to spot.

...BTW, I have been trying a few more NE bowls lately. Do you ever twice turn the big ones like this?

I think this is the first big one that I haven't turned twice. I've done a couple smaller ones from start to finish in one turning, but haven't had any pieces this big that were dry before. I've got several more NE blanks from this batch waiting. The dry ash is pretty hard cutting, but it's nice to be able to go to finished dimensions right off the bat.

Wow, Was just looking at your blog and saw your in-progress series on there.

All I can say is 'Wow', just 'Wow'!

Thanks, Brent. I need to get busy on the blog and do some updates. I've got a half dozen or so new pieces that I still haven't taken photos of, let alone shown here or on my blog.