Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air compressor location?

Air compressor location?

My long term plans call for relocating the air compressor and dust collector in a small room I will build in a lean-to that will go on the back of my pole barn next spring. My concern is in regards to how the compressor will work if it is in a cold room. The shop is heated and I am wondering if I should also pipe some heat out into the add on room? I want to get the noise out of the shop. a friend has a commercial Torit cyclone dust collector I might barter for as an upgrade to the bag type I now have and at 5 hp. I figure the new one will be quite noisy.

It occurs to me that if the air moving through the dust collector might heat the small room. Any ideas?

my compressors live in an unheated outbuilding with no problems.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

My compressor also lives in an unheated building.....no problem.

My concern is the DC. as you pull air from the shop, it has to be replaced. Since you are planning on having it in another unheated room, where will the replacement air come from? If the outside, your heat bill will increase a lot.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Yah, I'm aware of that issue I might run the return air right back into the shop. The Torit dust collector is about 11 ft. high and I will be swaping out the motor to a single phase compressor motor. I will probably have to add filters and I think rout them at 90 degrees to the cyclone so I can stick the pipe after the filters right back into the shop. I hope they knock the noise down enough. If not, I might have to somewhat seal the room (insulation) and put a vent back into the shop with baffles to limit the noise.

My compressor lives in an unheated space no problem. As for the DC I would pull make up air from out side and not worry about trying to get the heat back from the DC room.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

I put my cyclone dust collector and air compressor in a lean to attached to my shop. For return air I just cut some holes at the base of the wall. I insulated the wall between the shop and lean to for noise reduction and it made a huge difference. Even with the return holes the noise with both machines running is quite bearable.

I don't know where you live, Chuck, since you didn't add it to your profile, but I live a long way south of Paul and the temps get below zero. I AM NOT going to pull that air into my shop.

Now, if the DC room is insulated well, it might stay in the area of 50 Degrees, still too cold for me.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

My bigger compressor (I've got three of various sizes not counting the portable 12V one) lives in the barn, which lives in Vermont. The DC lives in the shop with me, though.

What? Yeah, three - a teeny one barely big enough to blow dust out of my bowls, sitting next to the lathes. A "regular sized" mobile one I drag around the house for construction work. The big one in the barn to feed the shop & the tire hose.
    -- Tim --

I know Houston isn't like up north, but the last company I worked for had 4 or 5 major sized compressors, 2 of these were commercial sized compressors with tanks about 6' tall and about 30" diameter.... the others were mobile units that they could take to offsite pack jobs, but the two main ones that ran the nail guns on the yard both sat in the open air, just inside the crane bay with piping outside for easy access for the guys working the yard. It was not unusual to see 300 to 1000 feet of hose strung across the yard... The crane bay did not have doors and the main compressor sat about 6 feet inside the east door. Weather didn't seem to be a factor.
    I don't have a compressor yet, but plan to put a small one in my DC shed at the end of my shop... I'll have to mount it up above the DC motor because at the time I built the shed I didn't think about a compressor and didn't leave room... my DC shed isn't insulated, nor is my shop.... all I hear is a hum from the DC when it's running. Mine is a HF 2 hp double bag unit.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.