Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tapering jig

Tapering jig

I am interested in building a jig to make tapered legs on my table saw. I would be interested in anything you have built that will safely accomplish that task.

Thanks to all!
    Warren

I built the one from Norm's plans - simple and works like a charm.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I was going to make one but I picked this one up a Rockler. It was on 15 bucks and it works as advertised.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Hey Warren,
    Here's my tapering jig. There was an article in the other FWW (the magazine) a couple years ago that showed how. The basics are a platform with a slider on the bottom that fits into your miter slot, a fence/stop at the rear to hold the leg, and another fence at the taper angle. You also need some way to clamp the workpiece to the two fences. If this is a one shot need, I would just glue/screw everything together at the desired angle and screw on one of those lever clamps.

The good thing about this jig is that your fingers are far away from the action

PM me if you are interested and have questions.

hey jesse was you takin nap when you attached that pic its 90 degrees off

another idea would be to have the bottom staionary and the top move to the desired angle i saw it in a popular wood working mag dont have a pic it kinda worked like a zero cleance insert thtought pater you setup the parent peice to be cut off as it went along the fence then you could use that edge as aguid fo rthe desired angle. with a clamp sytem the parent piece was 1/2 ply witha solid backer piece and then pivoting side piece.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I did the same thing as Don, was going to make one, and got almost the same one for $5.

FWIW, I have started using the jointer to do them more than the tablesaw. If I were going to make a jig, Jesse's is the way to go.

Thank you all!

I really appreciate the suggestions. I have one of the Rockler jigs and have been 'feared to use it. Just doesn't seem to instill confidence, but it might just be me.

I think I will go with a modification of FWW's jig.

Thanks again!
    Warren

warren, whenever i`ve needed to taper on the tablesaw i`ve just used a sacrificial piece of mdf with stops shot to it and a couple of clamps.....throw away when done.....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

latest issue

in the feb issue of woodworkers joural it has a tapering jig like i tried to describe. page 73 i think.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I have always intended to build a jig similar to the Rockler's shown but just never have. Last ones I cut I freehanded on the bandsaw and then hand planed to the line.

I had to make repeat cuts for some taper columns so I made a simple sled like Tod spoke of. I had to make a Right and Left handed one. I just used some Luann I had and laid it out on there. Then just added some stop blocks to hold the blanks in place.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits